Recent Purchases (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This weekend I got a much needed tool for the workbench. Harbor Freight ROCKS!

These tired old eyes need all the help they can get.

how much did you get that for? there's a Harbor Freight about 20 miles away from me (which my stepfather frequently buys from)

Nice stuff there, including Daniels Air Force! That Phantom is a real beaut Cory, did a couple as RAF birds.

Just went back and read through a couple pages of the thread, and you're right about the DAF!

I also had the option to get the Italerli one, but I did a lot of research and it seemed while cheaper, and not a bad kit, there were some issues that I just didn't want to nor have the means to deal with. The only thing about this boxing of the Phantom is the raised panel lines, but I don't mind.

Raised panel lines? On the 1/48th scale Hasegawa Phantom kit?!! They aren't on mine mate! It's beautifully moulded, with finely recessed lines and joints throughout, and a set of white metal wheels with 'rubber' tyres. The only thing missing are the sidewinders, which I got from the spares box.

The early or earliest Phantoms had raised panel lines then they upgraded to the recessed...

That's what I had read prior to buying it. It still looks like an excellent kit though, as I think it's identical minus the panel lines. I looked all over the city and couldn't find a different boxing, as only the B/N version still has the raised lines, and Ebay doesn't have much that's a reasonable price. I could've gotten the Italeri one as well, which is apparently a reworked ESCI kit, but I've heard such mixed reviews that I just went with the Hasegawa one.

Gotcha. So your RN version should be the same as mine then (They are all the same kit -F4K and F4M, just different decals, and a different set of stabilators for the RN version/FG1, plus optional rear cockpit fittings.). If you need any spare RN decals, from the kit or spare sheets, let me know - I built mine as an ex- RN, RAF FG1, so have the whole sheet, plus extras on an aftermarket set.

It's not RN Terry, it's a USN F-4B (or N, there's decals for both in the box) that landed on the Ark Royal for some cross-carrier operations, though I do not recall the purpose. I'll post the decal sheet and instructions tomorrow. I would LOVE to do an RN bird, but the nose is different and the engines are different as well, so I think it would be too much work/money to try and convert it as I'd need to find a conversion set of some form. Love that scheme though... Stop putting thoughts in my head!

Actually, looking at it, it wouldn't be too hard to convert the nose. The engines might be an issue, as the British engines are wider but with shorter nozzles. I could probably get away with just shortening the nozzles, but I wouldn't be able to widen anything.

Users who are viewing this thread