Recent Purchases (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I got this last week - Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk V and LiftHere aftermarket 1/48 decal set for MiG-21s of Yugoslav Air Force. Decals consist of national insignia for two aircraft and black ev. numbers for three aircraft - MiG-21f-13, MiG-21PFM and MiG-21bis. I'll keep decals for two MiGs and the ones for MiG-21PFM I'll send to Terry as I promised earlier for his Cold War GB entry.

Terry can you please confirm for which version of MiG you need decals. Is it indeed for MiG-21PFM or some other version?

Attachments

• AIRFIX__Spitfire_4a8bdb49bd895.jpg
    AIRFIX__Spitfire_4a8bdb49bd895.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1_1.jpg
    1_1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 1_2.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Nice buys Igor. Unfortunately, the kit I have is the late-production Fishbed D, so doesn't match the decals. However, I will probably be getting the PFM also, so I'll let you know.

No problem Terry. So, I'll wait a word from you then before I send anything. Basically, national insignia decals are the same regardless of the version, only thing different are the black numbers. Though to my knowledge there's no some major difference in general appearance between MiG-21PFM and MiG-21PF (Fishbed D).

As a side note, MiG-21s in service with JRV (Jugoslovensko Ratno Vazduhoplovstvo=Yugoslav AF) were given internal designations. For example, MiG-21f-13 was designated as L-12, MiG-21PFM as L-14 and so on. (Letter "L" meaning Lovac - Fighter). During the course of many years almost all major versions of MiG-21 served with JRV. Thirty or so examples of MiG-21bis still serve with Serbian AF today. According to some information these will be withdrawn from service sometime around 2012.

Last edited:
Thanks Igor, I'll check the info and let you know which one I can do. The kit is the late production, early Mig21, but there are some slight external differnces compared to those in Yugoslav service, from what I've seen so far. But with the above information, I can see which one looks the same as the PFM in the other kit (Academy 1/48th scale).

picked these up today! I'm a sucker for chome birds. lol. anybody know where I can find polished aluminum?

Attachments

• HPIM1574.JPG
    HPIM1574.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 66
Heck, I haven't seen Airfix paint for over thirty years! They stopped making it, and haven't re-started, far as I know. It wasn't particularly good, I remember that much.
The polished metal paints from Xtracolour (enamels) are good Rob, and if you look at the BareMmetal Finish guide I posted, you should be able to get a really good shine quite easily.

Heck, I haven't seen Airfix paint for over thirty years! They stopped making it, and haven't re-started, far as I know. It wasn't particularly good, I remember that much.
The polished metal paints from Xtracolour (enamels) are good Rob, and if you look at the BareMmetal Finish guide I posted, you should be able to get a really good shine quite easily.

can't find it, Ter. mind pointing me to it?

Don't know off-hand who stocks it in the 'States Rob, but I would have though Squadron or a similar large outlet. In the UK, both Hannant's and SBX Models stock it, although the former will only dispatch with a kit, and paints have to be sent by surface mail. Some of the Revell colours aren't too bad, although never my first choice, and can be used as described in the bare metal guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back