Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Go for it Rob! At that price, it's just over £10 for the brush at UK prices. I've just paid £30 for mine, which I thought was very cheap! As I said, for such a low price, and with good reviews, even if it's totally knackered after 12 months use, it's worth the money.

Go for it Rob! At that price, it's just over £10 for the brush at UK prices. I've just paid £30 for mine, which I thought was very cheap! As I said, for such a low price, and with good reviews, even if it's totally knackered after 12 months use, it's worth the money.

I totally agree, Terry. and pulling back on the trigger will make finer lines, am I right? or will it just make the color a little dimmer? I dunno much about dual action airbrushes. took a look at a Badger model 150 in Michael's (which is $175 with a wooden case) and I liked it

With a dual action brush, pressing down on the trigger controls the air flow, which is constant. Pressure is adjusted by the pressure gauge tap on the compressor.
Pulling back on the trigger controls the paint flow. The further back the trigger goes, the more the paint flows! All the way back will give the widest, and heaviest spray pattern, and moving the brush further from the job will increase the pattern width, but progressively lessen the weight of paint.
For fine line work, the trigger is moved back only a fraction and, the closer to the job, the finer the line. BUT - this takes a lot of practice, and normally a realtively low pressure, around 15 psi. If the brush has a .25 nozzle or smaller, you should be able to achieve fine lines of 1mm or perhaps less, with practice.
An hour or two practice and a tin of paint is worth more than a few minutes of 'real' spraying and a ruined job!

With a dual action brush, pressing down on the trigger controls the air flow, which is constant. Pressure is adjusted by the pressure gauge tap on the compressor.
Pulling back on the trigger controls the paint flow. The further back the trigger goes, the more the paint flows! All the way back will give the widest, and heaviest spray pattern, and moving the brush further from the job will increase the pattern width, but progressively lessen the weight of paint.
For fine line work, the trigger is moved back only a fraction and, the closer to the job, the finer the line. BUT - this takes a lot of practice, and normally a realtively low pressure, around 15 psi. If the brush has a .25 nozzle or smaller, you should be able to achieve fine lines of 1mm or perhaps less, with practice.
An hour or two practice and a tin of paint is worth more than a few minutes of 'real' spraying and a ruined job!

ah, thank you so much for the free advice, Terry! that actually is a pound's worth, so *tosses ya a pound coin* I think the hobbystore in my town sells airbrush needles. I could find the smallest one, possibly. I don't remember if they are needles or not. if they don't have any, I could hit the newer, bigger one about 20 miles away in a town I used to live in

It's not just the needle which controls the fine line Rob, it's the whole set-up of the 'brush. This includes the needle, the trigger clutch, the fluid nozzle and the vapour nozzle. The information on the brush specification should provide the nozzle, or jet size, normally shown as a decimal point of a millimetre or inch. A jet of 0.25mm is a common size for a fine line 'brush, and there are even smaller jetted brushes, but the price then starts to climb rapidly.

Not so much a recent purchase but more of a look at and a sharp intake of breath i went to hannants the other day and had a look at the A MODEL spruce goose i thought the mossie was big but this frickin thing is huge but what i will say is its well molded but certainly not worth £349 as the number of parts are small.BB

Picked up these 3 at the Melbourne Model Expo today.Lots to keep me busy:D

p1080442.jpg

I'm trying to find out more about the B-17C.There is nothing in the kit that tells me anything about the history.The only identification marks are 'KR 17' and it is Army Corps rather than USAAF.If anyone can shed any light I would be very grateful.
Cheers,
Tony.

Not sure on the B17's unit, but the Army Air Corps (USAC) became an Air Force, in 1942 (I think, or mid '43?), becoming separate Forces, for example 8th United States Army Air Force (USAAF), so it's basically the same organisation.

Not sure on the B17's unit, but the Army Air Corps (USAC) became an Air Force, in 1942 (I think, or mid '43?), becoming separate Forces, for example 8th United States Army Air Force (USAAF), so it's basically the same organisation.

The B-17 is a real nice model Tony, I have it 1/2 done on the shelf at home. I might have info on the particular plane as I have a lot of info on the B-17 and there weren't all that many of the early models. I'll have a look when I get home tonight

I could not find that specific B-17C in my references, but there were only 38 of them made so there must be some info on it out there somewhere.

As far as the name the air force used: It was The United States Army Air Corps (Never really referred to as USAAC at the time but just AC) In June,1941 it became The United States Army Air Forces (USAAF)(note the "s" in Forces) and finely in 1947, United States Air Force (USAF)

Thanks Glenn. I missed a letter 'A' out of the Air Corps bit, and couldn't remember the exact date when USAAC changed to the (Army) Air Forces. I've had a look in my extensive B17 references, but haven't identified that particular kite yet.

Yea Terry, I looked and looked in my library last night and came up with a zero, You would think that with only 38 built there would be pictures of it somewhere. I don't want you to think I knew that June 41 date off the top of my head, I knew it was shortly before Pearl Harbor, but I saw it in one if the B-17 references I was looking in last night.:lol:

Terry and Glenn,the only info I have come up with is that the serial numbers for the 38 birds were 40-2042 to 40-2079 and that 20 of them went to the RAF,the other 18 eventualy being converted to B-17D's
Of course.as this kit is devoid of a serial number,it doesn't help.:(
I'll keep digging though,let me know if either of you guys have any luck.8)
Cheers,
Tony.

Ah! Forgot about them being converted to 'D's'. That's probably why we can't find a pic. I've got the list of serials for those with the RAF, as Fortress 1's, but that won't help.

Hello Tony,
The tail code looks like the style used on the B-17B's, all references i've seen on the C's have just 2 numbers which is the last 2 digits of their serials (ie 40-2045 = 45) Add to that yours is numbered 17 and it seems more likely it is a B model.

Academy B-17B reviews
1) - The Airfix Tribute Forum - :: Academy 1/72 Boeing B-17B Flying Fortress (2106)

2) 1/72 Academy B-17B by H.NEJAT ARTA

Academy B-17C/D preview
Academy 1/72 Boeing B-17C

Academy B-17C/D review (built as D)
Academy 1/72 B-17D Flying Fortress

Mike

Last edited:
Hi,
I just ordered the kit on the left:
KitMDT1-vi.jpg

parts included are:
KitMDT2-vi.jpg

1) Starboard aileron
2) Backplate and spinner
3) Port aileron
4) Retracting jack support
5) Retracting jack (2x)
6) Late stick and cannon (2x)
7) Wheel fork (2x)
8) Wheel (2x)
9) Early stick and compass
10) Bomb/fuel rack (2x)
11) Drop tank (2x)
12) Landing gear bay
13) Tailplanes and rudder
14) San Giorgio B gunsight (3 parts)
15) Revi 12/c gunsight
16) Tail wheel and bay covers
17) Dragher oxygen regulator
18) Type C tail wheel fork

The kit has been made in very small quantity by Italian modeller Maurizio di Terlizzi, includes resin and precision turned brass parts and is intended for PCM kit in 1:32 scale.
If you are interested I suggest to contact Maurizio direct at
[email protected]
and you should if you are at all considering to make this aeroplane kit in the future.
As soon I will receive it I will also let you know my opinion.
Cheers
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back