Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats the one Rob :)

She's a ripper model. I'm a car nut and it looks as is if I might be getting some more AMTs for future building :)

heh, the only AMTs I ever built were Star Trek models! maybe I'll post them a little later on....when I feel like it XD

Just bought this...

ItaleriDo217JBoxshot.jpg

Includes decals for 6 a/c, namely

-Do-217 J-2 D5+MM NJG4, transferred to Regia Aeronautica Feb 1943

-Do-217 J-2 3C+IL NJG4, transferred to Regia Aeronautica Mar 1943

-Do-217 J-2 KD+MZ Code factory aircraft Winter 1942/43

-Do-217 J-2 GE+EA Experimental radar aircraft, Germany 1943

-Do-217 J-2 KI+LV II/NJG 101, Hungary 1944

-Do-217 J-1 235-4, Regia Aeronautica, 41 Stormo, 60 Gruppo, Lonate Pozzolo, July 1943 (odd scheme this, German crosses on the wing undersurfaces, German codes painted out and replaced by Italian)

I won't be building it yet, as I've got a Novo Gloster Javelin WIP (first model I have built in about ten years!), when I do get to it, will probably do one of the last three.

Thanks Terry. I have only had a quick look in the box, but the' pit seems fairly rudimentary, there is a flat instrument panel and a decal for the actual instruments. Given my current skill level, that will be challenging enough :lol:

Seriously though, overall quality looks good and I really can't grumble with the quality and range of decals for a mere tenner! Next step will be to see if there is a build posted on the net somewhere so I can forsee any pitfalls. I have checked Modeling Madness, they don't have a review, so Google it is!

No probs mate, here's a couple of pics anyway. The cockpit shouldn't be too bad in 1/72nd, and not much will be visible anyway in that scale. Hope these help. Good luck with the build.
Terry.

Attachments

• DO217.jpg
    DO217.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DO217 001.jpg
    DO217 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DO217 002.jpg
    DO217 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 50
bomb taxi the D5 code is for NJG 3 not NJG 4. My cousin Hauptmann Hans Baer
scored many of his night kills flying a Do 217J in 4./NJG 3 before taking possession of a Bf 110G-4 and then into NJG 5 II. gruppe as Gruppenkommandeur.

bomb taxi the D5 code is for NJG 3 not NJG 4. My cousin Hauptmann Hans Baer
scored many of his night kills flying a Do 217J in 4./NJG 3 before taking possession of a Bf 110G-4 and then into NJG 5 II. gruppe as Gruppenkommandeur.

Thanks for that Erich, I wonder if the NJG 3 aircraft is one he flew or flew alongside? I was going with the paint guide but suspected it might be wrong as the 3C code was also quoted as being for NJG4. In a further twist, the Hyperscale review implies that the NJG 3and NJG 4 aircraft were actually operated by the Regia Aeronautica, but in German colours - anyone have any info about this?

109, I'm not much of an expert (quite a newbie to the kit-building business in fact, except a few poor attempts as a teen), but the kit looks pretty good. Panel lines maybe a little bit over-done, but not awful. Reviews suggest the cowl shapes are a bit off, but I certainly wouldn't have noticed :lol: No flash worth speaking of, instructions are large and clear, and only two bits look really fiddly, namely mounting the seat for the dorsal gun turret (it sits on two very small struts inside the fuselage), and the nose detail (radar aerials and gun muzzles). As I said, excellent range of decals and paint schemes, and it was only ten quid ( $14.90 USD, $27.25 NZD according to xe.com right now).

Anyways, seems I have generated some interest, so I will get the Javelin done (I need the practice!), and I will post piccies as this progresses - hopefully starting by the end of next month! Then you lot can share my newbies woes :lol: 8)

Nice one, BT! It doesn't matter how experienced a modeller a person is, mistakes are still made, and new things are always learned. It's great that a site such as this exists, with such a wide variety of interest/experience/knowledge available, which can be shared virtually instantly. The research etc for my Gustav would have taken months, possibly longer, had it not been for this site and the likes of Wayne. It really is good to share and learn, and this must be the best bunch of guys around.
Look forward to your Javelin build. I (vaguely) remember the original Frog kit, which had the crew's head and shoulders moulded on each side of an otherwise 'solid' cockpit!

This Javelin isn't quite that rough :shock: I picked up cheap at Cosford Airshow last year, and have fitfully done bits on it ever since - I have also ballesed up a Tamiya 1/24 BMW and over-reached myself on Revell's 1/350th Prince of Wales before getting to this point :| I also have a Revell Boeing 767 unopened, but now realise I need a bit more practice with decals before getting into that seriously. I'm planning on getting a cheap airbrush for the 217 and seeing how that works. I have found the Modeling Madness website a source of inspiration, and also this forum, have lurked a while before deciding to get involved. Once my house moving shenanigans are over next week, plan to settle down and get stuck in to modeling again, I enjoyed it as a kid. Certainly the stuff posted on here gives me a standard to aspire to, and the wealth of talent and advice is a rare thing to have access to 8)

If you want a cheap, but very good quality airbrush, and a compressor, have a look at the Model Hobbies web-site. They do some good stuff at low prices. Their Mantua airbrush at £6.75 (!!) or thereabouts, is actually a Badger 350, exactly the same as the two I use, (costing £70 each!)and they do a compressor at £42, rising to about £90. They've just introduced another one, at about £50, with everything on it, which I would have bought had it been available when I got the cheaper one! Alternatively, you can go direct to Mantua Models, who will be a bit cheaper still. This kit will do everything you want for modelling, especially if you're new to airbrushing, without paying a fortune. A complete package - brush, braided hose and fitting and compressor will be between £52 and £65, or upwards if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back