Recent Purchases (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those dad blasted red coats DO know how to make excellent beer! Will give credit where credit is due! And the Scots make the best single malt on the planet. However you have not lived until you have enjoyed some fine Tennessee Siping Whiskey or some Kentucky Bourbon! And come to think of it the Canadiens make some fine Rye whiskey as well!

This arrived today!

download.jpeg

It will keep me busy! I also bought the Brassin Wheel set, and the paint masks, and I am thinking about getting either the exterior detail set or possibly the one for the floats and undercarriage. I don't think I will bother with the interior detail sets as no one will see much of them.

I went through your build with interest Geo! Well done! Hope to avoid the nasty gap in the hull you ran into. Not sure if mine will be the same but time will tell. I plan on painting this one up as 23-P-5 the side number for Howard Ady's PBY-5 at Midway. Already looking for info on the paint scheme etc.

This arrived today, it was ordered awhile ago. I am switching to 1:32 where I can because I have such a hard time masking the canopies. I am hoping the larger size will help. I know next to nothing about this aircraft except that it was apparently an under appreciated heavy fighter based I believe on the Bristol Bomber. I have no idea what scheme or specific aircraft I am going to build it as yet. If there is a Canadian forces version I may try that in honor of our neighbors to the north!

Rev_Beaufighter_MkIF_cover.jpg

The most notable Canadian Squadron flying the Beau was 404 Squadron and they flew the TF.X version after switching from Blenheims. The most obvious difference between the Mk I and the TF X is the dihedral on the tailplane. Others mods would need to be made but should be doable.

A bit of rooting around but I found some Canadian Beaufighter pilots/aces here...Jan J. Safarik: Air Aces leaving out those who strictly flew in Canadian squadrons. Depending on which source I found, the Canadian squadrons started receiving the Mk.II: 406 or 409 being the first in '42.

........PILOT ....................KILLS......SQNS .............N/RO

Turnbull John Howard....13 [12+1]..125,600.....Fowler, Cecil F. J.
Fumerton, Robert Carl...13.............406,89.......Bing, L. P. S.
Schmidt, Dallas Wilbur...9 [8+1]..... 227...........Campbell
Phipps, Rodney Thirsk...6 [5+1]......272.......... Pontet-Piccolomini, A.
Smith, Albert Ivan...........5...............252.......... Diaper, J. P

Keep in mind that these are only the aces. I'll start rooting around my books and the web at the various squadron sites.

Last edited:
Great info from both! Thanks guys! Dihedral changes are usually not too difficult but not sure about the other necessary changes. Will dig through some reference photos and see if I can identify what changes would be most telling.

Great info from Geo there. I'm certainly no expert in RCAF Beaufighters and would have had to dig a lot more. Just know a bit about the TF X from having read up on it and its use with 404 Squadron.

By the way, I think Terry built this kit and donated it to a veterans' organization. Did a great job on it too.

Yep, it's one of the models I gave to the 46 Squadron Association, for their 100th Anniversary dinner in June.
Basically, it's a fairly good kit overall, but totally inaccurate in the front and rear cockpit areas. However, this can easily be rectified by scratch-building, and conversions such as the tail plane dihedral are simple to do.
The full build can be seen in the first MTO Group Build, and meanwhile, here's a couple of pics of the model I donated.

46 Sqn Anniversary models 023.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 024.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back