Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It came in today, If your looking for just the right markings for you new Tamiya P-38F/G or H well look no more.
20210205_130325.jpg
20210205_130356.jpg
20210205_130442.jpg

https://www.hobbyzone.biz/fundekals/fun_48030.shtml

The decals don't ship with instruction, you go to the site above and download the PDF. If your in mind to and see them on Ebay (listed as tacair), go to Hobbyzone to order. US customers looking for Quanta Studios and don't want to wait three to four months. Same place. I ordered and in 5 days from order I received both free shipping.
qd48031.jpg
qd48031a.jpg
qd48031b.jpg

Bought today as I've read good things about it

1612587759717.png

Airbrush and hairy stick friendly, very quick drying time and water clean-up. This was three coats with a brush though I really couldn't see the difference between the first and third.

1612587937560.png

1612587999192.png

I'll let it dry over night and then test Tamiya Panel Liner on it to see if it stands up. If it does, I'll test it out with the airbrush. One thing I like is it covers better than Future. I also purchased this to relieve tip dry for Vallejo. I went to buy Vallejo Retarder but the LHS hasn't stocked it in a long time. Mix this 1:20 Flow Aid/water and add to the paint

1612589081403.png

I'll also be interested to see how the gloss works out.
I have, and have used, the Liquitex semi-matt artist's varnish for many years, as a finish coat over oil paintings on canvas - never really thought about trying it on models !!

Test Drive with Liquitex & Tamiya Panel Liner, 11 hours later: I put the panel liner on at 8:30 and left it on for 35 minutes, usually I leave it for 20 minutes but I wanted this to dry longer so I could scrub the liner off using a lot more force. I used a lot more odorless thinner on the Nail Tees than normal to add extra abuse. Due to the extra time I had to go over the panel liner twice to get it removed but remove it it did. You see it along the flap and aileron lines as well as the wing rib (?). Inside the oval....I swabbed on a lot of thinner here and then rubbed the bejaysus out of it using the Nail Tees. While there was something on the Nail Tee, I just went down there and all the areas I hit still have a shine. It might require a bit more testing, especially with an airbrush but I think its a keeper.

IMG_0002.JPG

For those unfamiliar with Nail Tees, I picked these up in the lady section at the pharmacy, 120 for about $5CAN

1612634178696.png

Tamiya sell the same thing, 50 for about $5US

1612633807867.png

1612633844227.png

Last edited:
Good stuff.
Unfortunately, Nail Tees, and similar cotton bud products that have plastic stems, have recently been banned here in the UK and EU, due to ecological reasons.
Hopefully, wooden-stemmed examples may replace them, but fortunately, I still have a (dwindling ) supply, bought from Tesco's about four years ago, for around £1 for a box of 150.

I never looked at them Terry. I was just reading on another forum that those plastic stems are hollow and one builder was melting it and stretching it to make insulators on antennae. Off to check........................................................

..........yes, they are hollow...

IMG_0003.JPG

....and do they ever stretch nicely, I got about 12" out of it....

IMG_0004.JPG

The trick will be to make it a bit thicker and then try to thread the antenna through it. Why did I include the little triangular piece? I think it can be finessed into those little doodads seen on Luftwaffe aircraft antennae such as this...

bf109E antenna.jpg

I've used the stems for tubes ( some of them are ribbed, and can be used for various things), but I hadn't thought of stretching them .......... hmmmm !

Test Drive with Liquitex & Tamiya Panel Liner, 11 hours later: I put the panel liner on at 8:30 and left it on for 35 minutes, usually I leave it for 20 minutes but I wanted this to dry longer so I could scrub the liner off using a lot more force. I used a lot more odorless thinner on the Nail Tees than normal to add extra abuse. Due to the extra time I had to go over the panel liner twice to get it removed but remove it it did. You see it along the flap and aileron lines as well as the wing rib (?). Inside the oval....I swabbed on a lot of thinner here and then rubbed the bejaysus out of it using the Nail Tees. While there was something on the Nail Tee, I just went down there and all the areas I hit still have a shine. It might require a bit more testing, especially with an airbrush but I think its a keeper.

For those unfamiliar with Nail Tees, I picked these up in the lady section at the pharmacy, 120 for about $5CAN

Tamiya sell the same thing, 50 for about $5US

Nice work Geo. Think I will pop down to OfficeWorks this morning to pick some up!! Really interesting use for the plastic stems on Nail Tees - will have to try it out as well. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back