Recent Purchases (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I did notice that when looking at Stuart tank colours. Seems noone produces 'correct' colours, nor even agree on what the 'correct' colours were!
Haven't bought any yet as a result.
With tanks that is correct. Olive drab could look anything from green to brown/green. Fading and field painting adds
to the differences. Sometimes thinner wasn't available so even fuel could be used as a substitute.

With acrylics this makes it easy to produce your own. I use tube acrylics mostly over a white undercoat.
Mix a big blob of yellow with a tiny bit of black and you get olive green. It doesn't matter if one mix is darker
or lighter than the previous one.

If you want to paint multiple smaller scale vehicles (1/72) in one go make a wash in a small bottle with water added to about
the consistency of milk. Add a few drops of floor wax (One Step or similar).

Do about three coats allowing each to dry first. As you do these the floor wax will pull paint pigment into crevasses and
low spots while less will cover the high spots, leaving the white undercoat to make the high spots lighter. After the three
coats are done you will have automatic shading and highlighting. Use a large soft brush for the washes - not really painting,
more like sloshing.

Different colours can be harder according to opacity but this works well for greens and blues (airfield trucks etc).

I haven't used this for an aircraft model or anything in 1/35th scale but it also works well on figures for the uniforms.

Awesome, cheers mate. I will give that a try.

To add to the colour conundrum, most tanks and aircraft based in New Zealand were repainted with local B.A.L.M paints, which were 'close to' or based on RAF etc, colours, but not exactly... An article I have on RAAF Boomerangs shows the same thing over there.
Good news is you can almost do anything you want, and no-one can say it's wrong!

Last edited:
Latest, 1:72.

Mirage Hobby #720006: M3 Stuart Mark I 'Honey'
20240403_223204.jpg

The Mirage Hobby line of Stuarts are lovely, and by far the best you can get in 1:72. I also have their Australian Army Buna campaign M3 kit.

Great scores Jesse and Don!

My latest, for my Academy 1:35 M3A1 Stuart (to become an NZ Army M3 Hybrid)
20240404_224524.jpg

Has full bogies and wheels for every variant (M3/M5/M8), but not the tracks - they are seperate sets (type T-16 for M3 and M5, type T36E6 for M5 and M8 variants)
Does have rear engine compartment wall and openable doors though, plus forward lower hull, presumably to correct the Tamiya kit(??), also a few other small details like .30 cal mg bodies for the hull interior :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back