Replace Me-109 with Me-155? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If it would work ... one last time, what about the Bf 109H? It too got a inner wing section inserted. It subsequentally suffered from wing flutter...

and if it wasn't a new fighter, why did they give it a new number then?? ;)

Kris

Does anyone have a picture of the wing of the Me 155 carrier version?

I found the one for the later Me 155B hi-alt with DB 628:
me155b_1.jpg

At least that is very different from the plug-inserted Bf 109H:
bf109hdj_5.jpg

Kris

I suppose CB is thinking about the later Me/BV 155 version.

Btw, I am still looking for a drawing of the wings of the Me 155 carrier version if someone has it. I had a book about the BV 155 which I think also contains illustrations of the previous versions but I cannot locate the damn thing anymore!

I need to know if that had a wing adaptation like the Bf 109T or a totally new wing like the later Me 155A/B ? In the case of the former, the wing would of course be based on that of the Bf 109F/G. So in other words, a plug or a new wing?

800px-Bf109T_3Seiten_neu.jpg

800px-Bf109H_3Seiten_neu.jpg

me155b.jpg

Kris

According to Monogram Close-up 20 "BV-155" this is the BV-155A for the Graf Zeppelin

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 307
Why? It's essentially the same aircraft except for the wing.

The same aircraft with diferent wing is a prototype, Me-109V...something, the Me-155 was to be equipped with a turbosupercharger engine DB 628, the germans had the technology for the superchargers but no enough high quality steel to manufacture them . So That s why I say better to stay with the DB 603G equipped Me-309 or Jumo 213 equipped Fw-190D.

Why?

If the Me-155 supercedes the Me-109G then it gets the historical Me-109G missions. DB605 series engines which worked just fine in the Me-109G will work just as well in the Me-155.

Probably, but if you got a longer winspan and heavier take of weight you got more draw so with the same DB 605 As "your " ( :) ) Me-155 is slower than an average me-109G6 or G-10. I dont think that is a good recipe for 1944-45.

I wonder what its roll rate is like
a day ;)

The same aircraft with diferent wing is a prototype, Me-109V...something, the Me-155 was to be equipped with a turbosupercharger engine DB 628, the germans had the technology for the superchargers but no enough high quality steel to manufacture them . So That s why I say better to stay with the DB 603G equipped Me-309 or Jumo 213 equipped Fw-190D.
IIRC the DB 628 was a two-stage supercharger with intercooler. I don't think materials have much to do with giving up on the engine. I think they decided the DB 605 was a dead end and the DB 603 was the way to go. In the end they did come up with the DB 605L which seems to be similar to the DB 628 though :mad:
I also think it is possible that the DB 628 may have changed the CoG of the Bf 109 in such a way that too many modifications were needed, negating the advantage of a new engine for the Bf 109. So the Me 155 or Bf 109H were discarded in favour of the Me 209/309. Would have seemed logical at the time.

Kris

Probably, but if you got a longer winspan and heavier take of weight you got more draw so with the same DB 605 As "your " ( :) ) Me-155 is slower than an average me-109G6 or G-10. I dont think that is a good recipe for 1944-45.
I agree. A more powerful engine would have been needed to give the Me 155 an edge over the Bf 109G. And with the Me 209/309 expected to enter production within months ...

The Me 155 was a possibility but only with a more powerful engine. Changes necessary would have to remain minimal: the DB 628 or DB 603, the new wings and a lengthened fuselage and a larger tail section. Basically a new fighter.

Kris

So remind me what the radiator "thingies" are supposed to do for a single engine airplane with a radiator scoop already inline? I'm still trying to figure out if we are discussing a EA Games bullexcrement development or something that real aeronautical engineers were involved with.

Help me out here guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back