Restore a Bf109 K-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To be perfectly honest I don't care about the swastica.
But I'm perfectly ok with Germans deciding they'd rather not have to see it again....or at least have to see it again as little as possible.

The thing is, besides grumbling modellers some aviation enthusiasts, not enough people care to see it back.
Which, when you think about it, is perhaps not so bad an outcome, given the history all.

Which history? That of the past 3000 years or the 12 year period when a Regime used the symbol and screwed it's meaning forever?

But this is beside the point. I would just like to know why it is censored from decal sheets if not banned any more?

To me an accurate representation of an object, no matter what the subject, is 'educational' in it's own right, and to present it incorrectly or in censored form is spreading disinformation...

To me an accurate representation of an object, no matter what the subject, is 'educational' in it's own right, and to present it incorrectly or in censored form is spreading disinformation...

In German law a scale model is a toy and therefore may not display a swastika. That's German law. Germany is a democracy and if the German people want to change that law then there are means for them to do so. If they choose not to then you,I and everybody else has to respect that.

I have discussed this with German colleagues and they are happy with the law as it is. The prospect of neo-nazi groups openly re-appropriating the symbol is not one that appeals to most people who have thought this through.

If it bothers you that some models are supplied without swastikas then there are plenty of after market sheets with swastikas of all scales,styles and sizes available.

I am primarily a Luftwaffe modeller and all my models carry all the appropriate markings including swastikas. I know other modellers who choose to leave them off. I have no problem with that,it was for the right to have choices like that that my grandparents were fighting seventy years ago.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve, that explains it a bit better for me. People don't like it, so it's banned. Ok. (And I hate the Neo Nazis and skin heads as much as anyone else in case anyone's wondering)

Re decals: Yes, I also have 5 sheets of Hakenkreuz markings for the above reasons. I know one rivet counter's opinion will not influence the masses.

-end of subject-

We are talking replica here...yes? A replica with some original parts...like Bf 109E-3 WNr1342 (N342FH) ex Yellow 8 6./JG51 ex G-BYDS flying with FHC Seattle in the USA. No real Bf109K survived the war.
This must be a 'data-plate' replica and not a real war survivor. Lets make this clear lest it enters history as a 'restoration' like the Bf 109E mentioned above, if you have enough money your can recreate any anything!

However I applaud the the team building this replica for bringing back a 3D shape that otherwise would only evey exist as scale models and photo-images.

Last edited:
This must be a 'data-plate' replica and not a real war survivor. Lets make this clear lest it enters history as a 'restoration' like the Bf 109E mentioned above, if you have enough money your can recreate any anything!

I appreciate your point but it's going to have some very authentic parts regardless of what is either remanufactured or scratch-built, surely?
The engine alone is one hugely difficult piece to recreate and must surely then be largely original?
I know things like instruments aren't necessarily rare and I'm guessing original radio equipment would not be appropriate?

As for the remanufacture of parts, if parts like the fusalage or wing is effectively a new part how does this compare with other restored aircraft?
Surely by now what with the hours on them they too would likely have brand new skins, spars ribbing etc?

I'm asking cos I don't know but it strikes me that to be certified as airworthy (which to the best of my knowledge is a very demanding standard) it seems reasonable to say that very little of the crucial structures made back in 1939-45 would be left on any of them, no?

Mr Hurricane makes an interesting point. Just how many original parts justify a restoration or a recreation?

This K appears to be more a replica than anything else.

or what if its made on the original jigs? there was a guy on her a few years ago that claimed his relative had bought a set of original jigs and tooling for a 109...what model he didnt know. to have the original plans and jigs, and etc...would be interesting.

Interesting point here. Like the proverbial broom someone's had for forty years, only had 2 new handles and 4 new sets of bristles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back