Restore a Bf109 K-4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Since I helped (and am helping) in the restoration of an Hispano Ha.1112 Buchon (an Me 109G from the firewall back), I recognize most of the parts. There's a LOT of airplane missing! We can get fuel cells ...

I wish them luck. You can still find a DB 600 series engine in Europe, but you'll pay an exhorbitant amount for it when you find it. There are people in the U. S. A. who make gear reduction cases and gear sets for the engine but, again, they aren't cheap, either.

Would be wonderful to see and hear it fly again! Especially in original color and marklings which, as I understand, are illegal in Germany, even for historical purposes. Seems strange to me, but maybe understandable. Still, it is only for historical purposes and should be allowed ... if only to remind us all of what not to do.

Great info Greg!

Yep, the Hakenkreuz is still (and probably always will be) banned in Germany. Airworthy aircraft don't display it in any form, and even models have to have it covered at shows, or the arms painted closed, like a box form. You may have noticed Hasegawa box art displays it as a grey diamond.

What is annoying too is that most models in Hungary are imported via Germany, who very kindly open the boxes and cut out the Hakenkreuz decals... :evil:

Would be wonderful to see and hear it fly again! Especially in original color and marklings which, as I understand, are illegal in Germany, even for historical purposes. Seems strange to me, but maybe understandable. Still, it is only for historical purposes and should be allowed ... if only to remind us all of what not to do.

It all depends. If it is going to be a flying aircraft, then it can not have the swastika on it. All other markings can be complete including the Black Crosses and Camo patterns. In place of the Swastika though there is a regular German flag.

If the aircraft is in a museum however, it can be complete with the swastika and everything. I have been to many museums in Germany and the aircraft have the swastikas on them.

Yep, the Hakenkreuz is still (and probably always will be) banned in Germany. Airworthy aircraft don't display it in any form, and even models have to have it covered at shows, or the arms painted closed, like a box form. You may have noticed Hasegawa box art displays it as a grey diamond.

Again it depends, read above.

I will dig up some pictures that I have taken within the last year or two at Museums with the complete Swastika on the rudder.

The Hakenkreuz is not always banned in Germany, under certain conditions the use is permitted. Education is such a special case, there's either a special case for museum or they are already counted-in into education.

That's good to hear Chris and Dennis! Admittedly I've only visited the DTM in München, none of who's exhibits feature tail markings of any sort. (or atleast didn't when I was there, in 1999)

It would be nice if the aircraft is restored and can fly again. Regarding swastikas, the Me-163 at Gatow museum (Berlin) did have a swastika, although its many years since I visited the place.

That's interesting (and good to hear). IMO markings and schemes should be accurate, whether PC or not.

When I lived in Austria, and now here in Hungary, people generally fall into 2 groups re the Hakenkreuz. They either look in disgust and start the 'But that's the Nazi symbol!' rant, or smile roguely and say 'Igen! Deutschland über alles!' and start going on about the supremacy of german equipment over everyone else's...
Not many people I've met just accept it plainly for what it is in aviation circles: a national marking (originally symbolising peace, the life and fertility cycles, and rotation of the sun) applied to Third Reich aircraft....

Markings I feel should be accurate, fek being too PC, lest people forgot the bad and ugly that was caused from it.

But why should one idiotic era of usage make thousands of years of history of many cultural/religous era's opinion illegal, it's like giving in to the terrorists'kidnappers.

.... But why should one idiotic era of usage make thousands of years of history of many cultural/religous era's opinion illegal...

Exactly!
Find the old Rudyard Kipling books, and you'll see they have the peace symbol (ie swastika) in right hand rotation on the spine... and my stepmother proudly displays a beautiful tablecloth hand woven by her grandmother in the '20s - bordered by about 60 swastikas in right hand rotation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back