Restored F4F Wildcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
The new EAA magazine came out and I was struck by this exceptionally nice photo of a restored Wildcat.

I wish it enlarged better.

F4F.jpg

Utmost care has to be exercised when changing the battery in a Wildcat....Thou shall NOT get turned turtle when trying to get out of the heckhole where the battery is. :p It's how I got formally introduced to Howard Pardue, Fast Eddie, Nelson Ezell and a couple other guys from Breckenridge. It took six of them to pull me like a fish out of that hole!

People have been known to ride - as in flight - in the space behind the seat in a Wildcat. There is a lot of room there, as it was in the F3F. There was a old movie, Flight Command, where a pilot crashed an F3F and another landed next to him, removed the radio transmitter, and put the injured pilot in that compartment.
F4Faftfuselage1-1.jpg
F4Faftfuselage1-2.jpg

People have been known to ride - as in flight - in the space behind the seat in a Wildcat. There is a lot of room there, as it was in the F3F. There was a old movie, Flight Command, where a pilot crashed an F3F and another landed next to him, removed the radio transmitter, and put the injured pilot in that compartment.View attachment 646909View attachment 646910
Like flying on Piedmont!

The photos are a little deceiving on the belly space, if you have never been close to a Wildcat. The vacuum tank in the first photo is about 14" in diameter. The forward most radio shelf is about 25" wide.... Lots of fore and aft room. I don't remember offhand what the lower tank is for, but the one I was working on, had the battery in that area or slightly forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back