Revell 'Flower Class' Corvette re-released.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Having spent the last hour doing more research on the ship and the model, I think I'll pass, not sure if I have the skills to do it properly. But I would help ($$) someone who does want to it.

Far too big for the space I have available, especially as the corvette is 'full hull'. It's one of those I'd love to do though, even if it was just the corvette, maybe approaching or leaving a dock, to simplify things. It would have to be built in a room with wide doors, and go to a museum though. Like you, I'll pass!

Thought about that very dio a couple of years ago. At the time I had a 3900sq. ft. house, so space was not a problem. Money wasn't either. Just never got around to it, now space, money and time are all in short supply!

Always seems to be the way Paul. I have all the major elements for a 1/35th scale diorama of a section of the 21st Panzer Division in Normandy, all carefully boxed up for the past 17 years!
Ten vehicles, a CP, motorcycles and around 40 figures, plus equipment etc, all painted and ready for specific areas of the diorama, just sitting in boxes lined with cotton wool.
They were supposed to be built into a diorama measuring approximately 4 feet x 6 feet, at a time when I had the space. Now, I have time, but no darned room!

A friend and I built a D-day dio 'way back in the early '70's. Used 1/72 Airfix figures, balsa wood pill-boxes and a MPC B-26 crashed on the beach. We glued sand to his mothers card table.
The woman had no sense of history. We were doing importaint work. Raised more hell than when we (almost) set fire to her cat!

It's funny (ok, maybe not so funny) how money, time and space only match once in ones lifetime, if you miss that once in a lifetime chance, you're severely and truly, well.....humped!

Back to the Revell 'Flower Class' Corvette.. Recently, I have found a nice article in Modelarz magazine about the kit. The ship with K166 number was HMCS Snowberry. Revell offers its painting used from May 1943 to April 1944. Unfortunately the layout of the camo spots is a little bit incorrct. It is because camo spots of the real K166 corvette were of different shapes (dimensions). The main problem is with the colour of the hull under the water line. According to a couple of references it should be of the red or dark red paint for the period of time. The corvette was built by the Davie Shipbuilding shipyard, Lauzon, Quebec in Canada that used the red lead ( minium ) paint for protecting of the area. Also all areas covered with the Semtex ( anti-skidding material ) were of dark blue colour according to the manufacturer's instruction issued in 1943. The black number K166 is positioned incorrectly in the kit instruction for paiting and marking and should be moved more back. Additionally there are differences in the board equipment and armament. But it seems to be caused by options for assembling a few ships with the kit.

Here is a nice site with profiles of a couple of Flower Class corvettes...

HMCS_Snowberry.jpg

The Flower Class Corvette

THX Gents. :) In addition.. I have forgotten ... the shape of both of digits 6 of the number is incorrect as well. Have a look at the pic below...

6770315255_1ae0a0af82_b.jpg

They weren't Jan. If you get a chance, have a look at the video in the link I included in post 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back