RIP HM Queen Elizabeth II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An interesting fact on the radio. She knew 15 Prime Ministers and 13 Presidents, that shows the experience that she had.

The first Prime Minister she appointed was Winston Churchill who was born in 1874 while the last she appointed (just 2 days ago) was Liz Truss who was born in 1975, a separation of Prime Ministerial birth years spanning 101 years.

Quite remarkable.

I expect Australia, NZ and much of the Caribbean will vote to become Republics before the end of 2023.

Don't count on it. The last vaguely republic stance that happened in New Zealand was a vote to change the flag a few years back, with the usual arguments from both sides, but the keeping the flag won the vote, by a small margin. What was the biggest outcry as a result of this? A waste of public money. Such a venture would kill any politician's chances of achieving any meaningful shift in political allegiance simply because of the waste of public funds it would generate. In New Zealand as I suspect in every Commonwealth nation, virtually all government institutions are based around Britain's and it would simply achieve nothing to change the British Monarchy as Head of State except pamper a few precious egos. I'm sure there are people who want it in this country, but to what end? Nowt would change as an ordinary citizen, so why do it? Britain and NZ have just signed an FTA, why jeopardise that?

Carry on mourning, folks; wreaths at 11...

Weird to see it happen, despite being only 24.
There have been people who were born and then married, had families, retired and died, and she was still there on the goverment office portraits...
I feel bad for the elderly, this will be a massive loss and to lose a comforting and familiar figure, who was there despite all the changes and "progress" we've had over the last 70 years.

Weird to see it happen, despite being only 24.
There have been people who were born and then married, had families, retired and died, and she was still there on the goverment office portraits...
I feel bad for the elderly, this will be a massive loss and to lose a comforting and familiar figure, who was there despite all the changes and "progress" we've had over the last 70 years.

I'm old enough to remember her Silver Jubilee in 1977, and living in Iran at the time, it got much coverage.

The first Prime Minister she appointed was Winston Churchill who was born in 1874 while the last she appointed (just 2 days ago) was Liz Truss who was born in 1975, a separation of Prime Ministerial birth years spanning 101 years.

Quite remarkable.

Churchill was already PM (elected 1951) when she became Queen in 1952.

My only respect for her (and very very very few other "Politians and heads of states" - useless people, IMHO - is only for her service in Military, either as a volunteer, or forced to do just for shows and photographs, at least she had balls to do the things that many, failed to do. While many young men and women were torn into pieces, many of those useless living fossils, even didn't dare to pay a visit to real front lines!!!
Either being Hitler, The King, Stalin, The Emperor or any one else, anywhere around the world, they even didn't dare to leave their strongholds and palaces, just sitting there and Filling their pockets by taxes, under the name of country, religion, god and other useless shits.

Churchill was already PM (elected 1951) when she became Queen in 1952.

Yes, but the PM still leads the Government on behalf of the monarch so there would need to be a re-appointing, albeit perhaps informal, once the Queen ascended to the throne. The PM serves at the pleasure of the monarch, which could only come from the living Queen rather than her deceased father. At least that's my understanding of the nuances....not that it matters much.

Last edited:
Yes, but the PM still leads the Government on behalf of the monarch so there would need to be a re-appointing, albeit perhaps informal, once the Queen ascended to the throne. The PM serves at the pleasure of the monarch, which could only come from the living Queen rather than her deceased father. At least that's my understanding of the nuances....not that it matters much.
All MPs swear an oath of allegiance (there are now many versions based on faith or lack of) With a new monarch all MPs do the same with the new Monarch. Elizabeth was lucky with Churchill, he was old enough to be her grandfather and a very experienced MP and former PM. He mentored her in the role and they both enjoyed each others company.

My only respect for her (and very very very few other "Politians and heads of states" - useless people, IMHO - is only for her service in Military, either as a volunteer, or forced to do just for shows and photographs, at least she had balls to do the things that many, failed to do. While many young men and women were torn into pieces, many of those useless living fossils, even didn't dare to pay a visit to real front lines!!!
Either being Hitler, The King, Stalin, The Emperor or any one else, anywhere around the world, they even didn't dare to leave their strongholds and palaces, just sitting there and Filling their pockets by taxes, under the name of country, religion, god and other useless shits.
This is why I have great respect for President Zelensky.
No head of state has led from the front lines since King Albert of Belgium during WWI.

I was 9 when the Coronation took place,
one of the few events I remember from that age.
I just yesterday realized my maternal grandparents;
grandmother was a Scot from Nova Scotia,
my grandfather a Irish lad from Donagal.
My paternal great great grandfather a Scot,
all subjects of the Commonwealth.

And now myownself as an Australian.
I've come full circle. Long live the King.

I remember my mother-in-law (born in 1930) what a shock it was when Roosevelt died because he was the only president she had ever known. This has to be so much worse to people in the commonwealth. She was only 15 at the time, for them its anyone younger that 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back