RLM 02 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
Got this from the site Matt posted. What Humbrol colour would be the best for RLM 02??

RLM02.gif

Humbrol used to do an 'Authentic Colour' in RLM02, and I've still got a usable tin! BUT, I've seen varying shades of the actual colour. One, like the Humbrol mentioned, is more of a green/grey, not unlike the shade used as 'Field Grey' on Wehrmacht uniforms, as used on upper surface camouflage schemes, such as the BoB Bf109's, whilst another is a much lighter shade of grey-green.
Until I realised I still had some 02, I'd mixed my own, using Humbrol Matt Dark green 30, Matt Dark Grey 27, and white. The ratios were roughly:- Green and Grey 50/50, add white at about 25% to the above mix.

Hey folks,
talked to our eldest member of my modelclub who was responsible for the restoration of a me 109 in the Luftwaffenmuseum Hannover-Laatzen. For this reason he stood in contatc with Mr. Kiroff and after that he made a chart for HUmbrol and Revell.

he told me that he uses Hu 147 mixed with Hu 72 and a bit Hu 56 for RLM 02.

for myself i make a mix from revell colors ( Revell 45 with a bit 99 Aluminium [ a bit on a wooden spoon from McD]) and than 16 % white for scale effect in 1/32 scale

here 2 examples

at first the wheel bay of a Me 109 K-4 ( Reserve for GB)

RLM02-2.gif

at second a wheel bay of a Fw 190 ( another Reserve )

RLM02-3.gif

RLM02-4.gif

RLM02-5.gif

ok, ok, the lighting is a bit awful but you see what i did

greets

Thomas

Thanks guys, so its a grey/green colour? I was painting wheel wells and landing gear Hu32 (RLM66) :oops:

Hey Muller,
not a mistake of you, but nonsense i saw in many instructions. After LDv 521/1 (1941) the wheel bays were RLM 02 and at the end of the war they became unpainted ( so aluminium).

T.

Thanks guys, so its a grey/green colour? I was painting wheel wells and landing gear Hu32 (RLM66) :oops:

Yes, it's a gray/green color, mostly gray; I know in Testors Model Master paints it's FS 36307, "Light Sea Gray".

Here are two really good links to Simmers Paint Shop for an FS/RAL/RLM conversion chart and an RLM paint chart and that I've used over the years.

Simmers Paint Shop - Luftwaffe RLM - RAL/FS 595b colorlist / aircraft colors (RGB values)

Luftwaffe RLM Colours - Simmers Paint Shop Forums

Also, here's another resource on the IPMS Stockholm website:

Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part II

Here is a recipe for another mixture with Humbrol enamels to get RLM02

Attachments

• RLM02.jpg
    RLM02.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 363
Thanks fellas, Peter that link doesn't work for me, but that is one cool site!

Thanks Wojtek, will try that mix when building White 5. :thumbleft:

Link fixed now guys.
It is to THE forum on ALL matters Luftwaffe.
Interestingly I wasn't notified about the replys above. Does this forum have the ability to get instant email notification to threads you are watching?

Just found the answer under the 'advanced' reply button. But satill doesn't explain why I wasn't notified of the messages after my 'link' one?

More confusion here! I bought some Tamiya XF-22 (RLM Grey) in Dublin yesterday, I checked the conversion chart mentioned above and it matches RLM02. It looks like the right colour.

Yep... according to my charts the Tamiya acrylic XF-22 is the RLM02 equivalent.But also I found this mixture :

3 parts of XF-2 / 1 p. of XF-18 / 3 p. of XF-22 for the RLM02 colour.

Lots of different RLM02 cocktails! :lol: I've only started using Tamiya acrylics, so I've only got a few bottles.

My LHS has all the Tamiya paints, but their Humbrol stocks are a bit patchy. Will try a Tamiya mix on White 5. Thanks for all the inputs lads! :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back