RN sends CVs to Pearl May 1942 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How much prior warning did US intelligence have that Midway was the target ?
17 May 1942 "From Washington DC, United States, Ernest King sent Chester Nimitz a message noting that King was now in agreement with the theory that Midway Atoll was likely one of the primary targets in the upcoming Japanese offensive."

However in this scenario, the more important date to me is when did the US request Britain send their carriers to help the USN? Here's the minutes of the Acadia Conference, maybe it's in here, I'll dig through later. But for now, regardless of the target the US knew from intercepts that the IJN was planning a big offensive, so with the Lexington gone and Yorktown crippled now might be the time for the US to repeat its earlier request for British carriers, especially as Coral Sea was a fight defending UK/AUS territory in which Britain nearly ignored participating in whilst their own three carriers were sailing around the IO.

Last edited:
17 May 1942 "From Washington DC, United States, Ernest King sent Chester Nimitz a message noting that King was now in agreement with the theory that Midway Atoll was likely one of the primary targets in the upcoming Japanese offensive."

However in this scenario, the more important date to me is when did the US request Britain send their carriers to help the USN? Here's the minutes of the Acadia Conference, maybe it's in here, I'll dig through later. But for now, regardless of the target the US knew from intercepts that the IJN was planning a big offensive, so with the Lexington gone and Yorktown crippled now might be the time for the US to repeat its earlier request for British carriers, especially as Coral Sea was a fight defending UK/AUS territory in which Britain nearly ignored participating in whilst their own three carriers were sailing around the IO.

Hi
The RN Official History 'The War at Sea 1939-1945' by Roskill has the following on the matter:
WW1acdpec027.jpg

WW1acdpec028.jpg

I hope that helps.

Mike

Hi
The RN Official History 'The War at Sea 1939-1945' by Roskill has the following on the matter:
View attachment 625545
View attachment 625546
I hope that helps.

Mike
It does, very informative, thanks. To make this "what if" work we need Admiral King to make his request right after the Battle of Coral Sea, so about May 9th or 10th. And if he wants only one carrier that might be doable whilst not disrupting Ironclad. One carrier should be able to make the trip in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back