robin olds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 3 refurbished F-4's are back at DM for storage until their time is up.. I still don't know why they don't use T-37/38's instead - a lot cheaper and actually more manueverable for air to air missle practice.
The F-4 drone platform was at the request of the USAF. I would think the T-37 would be too slow for the desired mission profile and higher time T-38s could still be "recycled." BAE Flight Systems (my former employer) did design an F-5 and F-106 conversion. Several 106s were droned and destroyed (Including my father in law's old bird on the B-1B chase program). The F-4 presented plenty of airframes that were cost effective to mod.

I spent about 5 years on the QF-4 program at Mojave as a QE.

The F-4 drone platform was at the request of the USAF. I would think the T-37 would be too slow for the desired mission profile and higher time T-38s could still be "recycled." BAE Flight Systems (my former employer) did design an F-5 and F-106 conversion. Several 106s were droned and destroyed (Including my father in law's old bird on the B-1B chase program). The F-4 presented plenty of airframes that were cost effective to mod.

I spent about 5 years on the QF-4 program at Mojave as a QE.

Since I haven't seen the desired mission profile or the objectives of the test I have no real opinion Joe - just seemed sad to see the bright and shiny and proud F-4s on the ramp - knowing they are destined to be a hole in the ground (or water)..

The T-38 and T-37 should both be smaller radar signatures and maybe more agile in head on evasion manuevers (the hardest long range shot if the target detects you).. it just seems the Phantom is such a huge target even if much faster than a T-37.

I suspect Iran is a factor in making sure no F-4s get offshore to another 'friendly' country.

Since I haven't seen the desired mission profile or the objectives of the test I have no real opinion Joe - just seemed sad to see the bright and shiny and proud F-4s on the ramp - knowing they are destined to be a hole in the ground (or water)..
Back in 98/99 they were droning Vietnam MiG killers still carring their badge to their death, real sad to see
The T-38 and T-37 should both be smaller radar signatures and maybe more agile in head on evasion manuevers (the hardest long range shot if the target detects you).. it just seems the Phantom is such a huge target even if much faster than a T-37.
Very True
I suspect Iran is a factor in making sure no F-4s get offshore to another 'friendly' country.
I've heard that statement when I was on the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back