robin olds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

drgondog

Major
Jun 28, 2006
Scurry, Texas
Peace Be With You General Olds

Many of you 'know' who General Olds is/was. Fewer have a perspective on the man, the warrior - and how few they are.

Listen to this and reflect that when General Bob Titus gave his eulogy (not contained here) there were no dry eyes in the House at AF Academy - and I swear to you that it was overcast when he started and sunlight broke through as he closed.

If you can listen to this unmoved - you are a different creature from me.

RIP Robin

Ive had the pleasure of General Olds' company in the past and this is a tremendous loss to our entire Community.... One Hellova Man, Leader and Inspiration....

25122.gif

I remember an Air Force pilot telling about General Olds when he commanded the Air Force Academy. The cadets loved him! But I am told that he wouldn't be shy about giving some nit wit VIP a middle finger salute and a "Foxtrot Yankee"!

I have included an F-4 Phantom that is at the US Air Force Museum. It is painted for Robin Olds. I don't know if this was "his" plane or just painted that way.

I am sure you are now at one heck of an "O Club" celebrating with you pilots that went before you!

Bill G.

Attachments

• Robin Olds.jpg
    Robin Olds.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 44
I remember an Air Force pilot telling about General Olds when he commanded the Air Force Academy. The cadets loved him! But I am told that he wouldn't be shy about giving some nit wit VIP a middle finger salute and a "Foxtrot Yankee"!

That is one reason (primary) why Robin was a bird colonel for so many years

Sad to hear that such an inspirational lreader has passed on. I first learned about him in 'Johhny' Johnson's book, and admired and respected him since; and bear in mind I'm not American. RIP General Olds.

Joe - one thing that was unique was that during the fly over and pitchout, the Missing Man was the flight leader... another unique tribute.

Ya know Bill, I saw the planes and heard about the pitchout - I was over at the airfield on top of the jump observation tower. If I remember right it was a Saturday and at that time it was a normal work day for us - did not have a camera!!! :mad:

The Fighter Pilots Fighter Pilot !.

Read all the details and tributes just before GOML 2007. Was looking forward to seeing him at that event.

Some people are destined to excell at their chosen trade, he took his to another level.

Blue skies.

:salute:

some pictures of an F4 in Old's last Scat markings taken at Heritage Meeting at DM AFB this last weekend.

This is one of the target drones destined for Tyndall AFB shoot down.. pretty sad

Attachments

• F4 - Olds1.jpg
    F4 - Olds1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 37
  • F4-olds-me.jpg
    F4-olds-me.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 47
  • formation-15-f4-51.jpg
    formation-15-f4-51.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 31
  • formation break-15-f4-51-1.jpg
    formation break-15-f4-51-1.jpg