Russian ex-spy dies in hospital...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

what made me laugh/annoyed me about this was, yet again the media playing it up, one headline i saw read "Russian Spy Nuked to Death" what the :?:

It depends on what your definition of the word nuked is.

Many people seem to use it as slang for a fission, fusion or neutron bomb, but all the word actually means is the rather broad 'nucleared' :| , and it seems that nuclear radiation is what killed him.

Since it has no formal scientific definition, there is no 'correct' meaning to it, only your interpretation of the slang word

That's slang for you. Granted, all words statred out as slang, but without formal definitions, thee is no standard. This a particular problem in technical areas

You know I have a theory and it probably is not true but what if he was not poisoned by someone else but rather he was selling some radioactive material to someone....

If some one was trying to poison him, then why was the substance found in 7 different locations in London and 2 planes that flew to Germany and other locations in Europe.

I wonder if maybe he sold some stuff to someone maybe a terror group, and poisoned himself in the process?

Really sounds intriguing to me. I dont know, I guess I like an occastional conspiracy.

Adler, at this point, your guess is as good as anyone (and it a good "storywise" guess). Thinking on it, the odds of actually getting to the bottom of this are very small. Did he throw himself on his sword? Was he poisoned by the Kremlin? Was he a rogue killed off by security services? Or was he selling it and was bumped off for security reasons?

Unless somebody defects (if the Russians still do that) then there will only be stories, guesses and possible motives.

Still, it is juicy to sit and speculate.

I like Adler's supposition. But then the question remains, can pollonium be used for weapons purposes? Dirty bomb? And what would be his motive? Judging by his activities prior to his death he didn't appear to be lacking money.

I dont know the more I think about my conspiracy theory it seems really realistic. One of the flights did regular flights to Germany and then from there who knows where it went to. It really seems odd to me that if you are going to poison one person then why does traces show up in 7 different places and 2 different aircraft.

Don't know, but it could have been those who handled the poison too. I guess you would have to know radioactivity of polonium and what method they used to handle it, adminster it, and who may have touched it unknowingly.

Some say that the idea of a dirty bomb would not work as the dispersion of the material would result in very low concentrations per unit area

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to agree with you Smokey. Seems to be more of a psychological weapon rather than one of great physical harm. But from a psychological standpoint, if one ever went off in a big city, there would be a huge uproar. So perhaps it is quite effective afterall.

Agree with that idea, the uproar would be huge. The average civilian panics first, thinks later. And even when they do get around to thinking, they usually do a pretty poor job of it.

Dirty bomb, ok. So what killed the guy? Bumped off to put him out of the way, misshandled and swallowed some or knew too much. Or, like Ghormley posted, maybe they were getting rid of the old guard (talk about a rough past time).

They now are looking a few more aircrat totally them to 5 and they have found traces of the material in 12 different locations in England.

Any discussion of the radiation levels in quantifiable terms? Not just "safe for the public", but rather in terms of "curies or rems" using a dosimeter? Now that would be interesting. Bet you wont EVER read anything like that.

i don't know how old you data is Adler but there're currently 25 locations under investigation for the substance, and one of the counter theories as to why so many places have been contaminated is that the guys with the Polonium are obviously pretty advanced, and planted other specimens to throw the police off the scent............

It depends on what your definition of the word nuked is.

Many people seem to use it as slang for a fission, fusion or neutron bomb, but all the word actually means is the rather broad 'nucleared' , and it seems that nuclear radiation is what killed him.

Since it has no formal scientific definition, there is no 'correct' meaning to it, only your interpretation of the slang word

you are correct and that's why the press used it because in a way they're right, however anywhere in the world when someone mentions the use of nukes you think of a nuclear type weapon correct? well what i didn't like was the press playing up the fact it was nuclear material to try and scare people...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back