Russian navy ships head to maneuvers in Venezuela....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those ships, both commisioned in the late 1990ies, are among most modern vessels out there. As for "amateur scullers" Matt, you are certainly aware of the current training in the Russia's Northern Fleet to make such statements, aren't you?
hey I don't unconditionally support this move, but don't post something which is not backed by the facts enough.

Say what you wish, Ramirez. This video speaks volumes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ADSZLjx0w

But then again, perhaps you find this impressive. I don't.

Say what you wish, Ramirez. This video speaks volumes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ADSZLjx0w

But then again, perhaps you find this impressive. I don't.

:shock: :shock:

I don't get your point at all.

1)what exactely makes you think of Russian sailors as of amateur scullers in this video?
2)so our opinion is based on some amateur videos? You should mention that in your first post already, I wouldn't ask any further questions then. :)
3)this is a carrier, not a missile cruiser, you know. Russia has sent cruisers, not carriers to Venezuela.

This is just a "tit-for-tat" retaliation from the Russians.

If we would mind our own business, then things like this wouldn't happen.

Like I said before, its a great time to invite them for a friendly port call.

I would be very surprised if the Russian navy was very effective. But then Russia is not a maritime nation so they really could not be expected to have much of a navy. This cruise to Venezuela is a political move, nothing more. I have read that the Russian population went from 148M to 143M, 1990-2006 and may decline to 100M by 2050. Also that it's population may be a muslim majority by 2038. Anyone else have insight on that matter?

My dad was in the port of La Guaira when the ships sailed in. Unfortunately, he was on the way to the airport and the camera was packed up (no pics :( ), but at least he saw the ships. An awesome sight, he says the Pyotr Vieliki was huge and awesome to see. I'm proud of my country for allying with Russia, what's wrong with that?

I know that the Russians have had their pay, morale, and maintenance issues since the break up of the Soviet Union. I dont know the current state of their fleet, but back in the 80's they were some of the finest sailors i have ever encountered. I believe it has something to do with the way they trained. Whereas in most western navies a sailor gets to move from ship to ship, roughly every two years, and job to job, thereby making him inherently flexible, but not necessarily excellent at one particular task, in the Soviet navy a sailor joined a ship, and stayed with that ship for his entire naval career. This made him far less flexible, but far more experienced at the job he was assigned top. if your job was firing torpedoes, thats all you learnt, but you got very good at that one job....

This is a message for the South Americans...."we are back, and we can sail ships again" Its a russian version of the "great white fleet" designed to shock an awe, impress the natives, and win sales of hardware, and show off what great friends the Russians can be against those nasty, nasty Americans

I'm proud of my country for allying with Russia, what's wrong with that?
Nothing....

I'm waiting for one of your army generals to knock off Chavez. Maybe after that you'll see Russian and American ships La Guaira side by side. Then hopefully you'll remember your camera!

This is a message for the South Americans...."we are back, and we can sail ships again" Its a russian version of the "great white fleet" designed to shock an awe, impress the natives, and win sales of hardware, and show off what great friends the Russians can be against those nasty, nasty Americans[/QUOTE]

Well, that sounds like an idea. Just hope that the Russian Navy will not have another Tsushima on their hands too soon. That would send their navy back about ten years.

I would be surprised to find the Russian navy "battleworthy" as yet, but at least their ships are at sea. The US "great white fleet" was not really battleworthy either.

This is not about wars, or power politics as such. Its a calling card for South America, a training Mission, and a sales pitch

The sales pitch will depend on the price tag I suppose. I believe the German MEKO type modular warship family has been successful in South America in recent years, but the Russians might be able to offer a cheaper alternative, especially if they can get South American states to buy their second-hand kit.

Putin is proving to be something of a brinksman on the international stage - he wants to remind the US and Europe that Russia is still there, and still a global player. This deployment, the recent fighting in South Ossetia and Russia's recent strongarm tactics are all direct challenges to the supposed hegemony of the US and Northwestern Europe in international relations. At the moment, he is getting his own way, it will be interesting to see how far he tries to push his luck in the future,

Yeah, Putin kinda scares me. He's used a lot of his executive power (sometimes towards the extreme), and I know that Bush has pushed his executive power as well, but he had a set term limit. Putin is the Prime Minister after he was president, which is one of the highest positions in the Russian government (I hope I got this fact right). Personally, I think he has just way too much power for one man to handle, like that old saying "absolute power corruptes absolutely."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back