Sage Brush

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Captain Dunsel

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2008
Near McGuire AFB, NJ
Does anyone remember "The Sage Brush" from "TAC Attack" and "The MAC Flyer"? I stuck a bunch of these aside circa 1975-80 and just found them recently. They're full of humorous little details. I've searched for them on the Web, but never have been able to find them, nor have I been able to find any copyrights to them. Of course, once I post this, I'll get deluged with links!

It may take me a while to get the image sizes to fit well, so please, be patient. These drawings are worth the wait!

I'll try to post one a day (or so), depending on my workload. I have about 20 of them, so that'll give you 2 to 3 weeks of entertainment.

CD

Attachments

• Monday, September 03, 2007 (5).jpg
    Monday, September 03, 2007 (5).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 171
Hey, I posted and the site's still up!:shock:

Let's try again, this time with a "tribute' to those C-130 pilots who were transferred from TAC to MAC, back when MAC got control of all of the trash-haulers.

CD

Attachments

• Monday, September 03, 2007 (7).jpg
    Monday, September 03, 2007 (7).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 144
Travelling with MAC could be very interesting. Destinations were constantly changing and crews could find themselves bouncing around the world before being able to get home.

CD

Attachments

• 27MAY08.jpg
    27MAY08.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 128
Yes, "TAC Attack" and "The MAC Flyer" were standard periodicals in the late 1970's. Since I was in Air Weather Service, which was a bastard stepchild of Mommy's Airplane Company, we routinely got copies of "The MAC Flyer". The guy who wrote as "The Sage Brush" was really creative. On some of the pictures, the little sight gags are almost everywhere (which is why I'm not shrinking them as much as I could). Whenever the magazine showed up, everyone went right for his cartoons.

And now, the next installment. Remember, this was drawn at the time when NASA was flying the first Shuttle, Enterprise, around on the back of a 747.

CD

Attachments

• 28 MAY 08.jpg
    28 MAY 08.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 131
For those who aren't familiar with US military terms, the acronym for the Commander of the unified commands is CINC, pronounced "sink", as in CINCMAC, CINCSAC, and so forth.
Of course, Rummie wants to stop that, so it may disappear, or at least, fade during his watch.....trust politicians to ruin military traditions.:evil:

CD

Attachments

• 30MAY08.jpg
    30MAY08.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 125
That CINC is short for 'Commander in Chief' (C-in-C), isn't it? (CinCSAC -Commander in Chief Strategic Air Command, etc)

Yeah, A4K, you are correct. That's why Rumsfeld has decided that it has to be held for use only by the President. He seems to feel that allowing "CINC" to be used in relation to mere 4+ star generals (instead of politicians) "cheapens" the term's value.....instead of the reverse.

Anywho, on to today's drawing. This one I can relate to, as I spent my AF career as an Air Weather Service (now "Air Weather Agency") weather geek.

CD

Attachments

• 02JUN08.jpg
    02JUN08.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 101
Sorry, but I was in Sales. For Production, you need to find a Chaplain!

CD

BTW, it was great around southern NJ, this morning. I had the day off as I had a doctor's appointment at 0930, so I took my little (~30 inch) sport ship out to the field at 0700 and had a great flight.

Then, I flew a second time, misjudged my approach, and knocked my landing gear/undercarriage right out! What's the good of good weather, when you can't fly worth kimchee!:oops:

CD

Back in the late '70's, a C-5a was used to ship a VERY big magnet to the USSR, for (I believe) fusion research. That was before the super-big Mrya, I believe, was built.

CD

Attachments

• 09JUN08.jpg
    09JUN08.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back