SB2C ID please (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Puget Sound Navy Yard.

It's been known by many other names over the years.
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
Navy Yard Puget Sound
Bremerton Navy Yard
Bremerton Naval Complex

Today it's full title is the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility.

Puget Sound Navy Yard.

It's been known by many other names over the years.
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
Navy Yard Puget Sound
Bremerton Navy Yard
Bremerton Naval Complex

Today it's full title is the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility.
OK got it, my feeble mind thought NY - "New York" :facepalm:

She had at least 1 SB2C on board in January of 1944 ref the picture below. But judging by the pictures I suspect they were taken during landing trials.

True, but the "KK" was not assigned to CV-31 until 8 January 1946, and used until December 1946. So if the above a/c - KK16 - came off CV-31, the photo had to have been taken between 8 January 1946 and December 1946, when there were no Curtiss SB2Cs on board CV-31.

She had at least 1 SB2C on board in January of 1944 ref the picture below. But judging by the pictures I suspect they were taken during landing trials.

On completion in Jan 1945 (not 1944) the BHR worked up with CVG-16 which she then transported to Hawaii and dropped it off in April. She then worked up as a night carrier and took CVG(N)-91 to the front line.

CVG-16 included VB-16 with SB2C-4. But as noted this is all before she got the KK code.

On completion in Jan 1945 (not 1944) the BHR worked up with CVG-16 which she then transported to Hawaii and dropped it off in April. She then worked up as a night carrier and took CVG(N)-91 to the front line.

CVG-16 included VB-16 with SB2C-4. But as noted this is all before she got the KK code.
The SB2C remained in active postwar service in active duty US Navy squadrons until 1947 and in Naval Reserve aviation units until 1950. With the camera in rear cockpit, could this be a photo squadron?

The SB2C remained in active postwar service in active duty US Navy squadrons until 1947 and in Naval Reserve aviation units until 1950. With the camera in rear cockpit, could this be a photo squadron?
Is it a camera or the gun mount without the guns fitted. Some SB2C were fitted with an armour plate above the guns with a sighting slot in it. Can't find a photo to show it clearly just now.

Is it a camera or the gun mount without the guns fitted. Some SB2C were fitted with an armour plate above the guns with a sighting slot in it. Can't find a photo to show it clearly just now.
Looks like an Arriflex 35 mm camera
ARRIFLEX_35_II_from_1946.jpg

Couple of photos here on a preserved example at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Angle isn't great but note curved top to armour plate and sighting slot.

Photos 5,7&8 in the sequence show it best

This is a photo of the gun mount with the steel plate. The guns are there, but they are not easily regognizible when in stored position. IMHO this is what we see on the photo in question too.
plstEgk.jpg

This is a photo of the gun mount with the steel plate. The guns are there, but they are not easily regognizible when in stored position. IMHO this is what we see on the photo in question too.
View attachment 646741
I think you may be right. So we're back to square one ... what squadron, CASU, Naval District, ATU, OTU, or Station is this a/c assigned to?

But this is a USN aircraft. And, there is no "KK" in the fuselage code document.
As I posted before, "KK" was a short-lived designation for CV-31, from January 1946 to December 1946, which coincides with Bon Homme Richard's involvement in Operation Magic Carpet.

Starting in January 1946, many of the still active carriers were assigned a double letter code until being put in reserve or decommissioned.
AA: CVL-26 Lake Champlain
BB: CV-4 Ranger
CC: CVL-25 Cowpens
DD: CVL-22 Independence
EE: CV-6 Enterprise
FF: CV-12 Hornet
GG: (not assigned)
HH: CV-11 Intrepid
I I: (not assigned)
KK: CV-31 Bon Homme Richard
LL: CV-16 Lexington
MM: CV-3 Saratoga
NN: (not assigned)
OO: (not assigned)
PP: CVL-27 Langley
QQ: (not assigned)
RR: CVL-24 Belleau Wood
SS: CV-20 Bennington
TT: CV-14 Tichonderoga
UU: CVL-28 Cabot
VV: CVL-29 Bataan
WW: (not assigned)
XX: CV-18 Wasp
YY: CVL-30 San Jacinto
ZZ: CVL-48 Saipan

These codes were implemented on 8 January 1946 by the USN's letter FF12-5

That is a real handy spotters guide you posted there. Thanks GrauGeist. Copyright it quick!
I suspect the USN wouldn't be too happy about that! :lol:

There's actually an entire alphabetical list covering the other carriers between January '46 and December '46 (also under USN letter FF12-5), most being a single letter (A, B, C, etc.) but I was just focusing on the double "repeat" letters (KK in particular) for emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back