SB2U-3 Vindicator Model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chofer136

Recruit
Jul 31, 2008
MISSION TEXAS
I am trying to build a model SB2U-3 Vindicator that was used by the US Marines at the Battle of Midway. The instructuctions said the whole cockpit was Black, is this correct? My instructions also indicated that the engine was red, is this correct??? From the brief story on the aircraft, the engine was a Wright Cyclone, and all the Wright engines I seen had a black, or grey crank case and aluminum jugs.direction, Is there another comparable aircraft that is a little more known, that I could copy the colors on?? Was it a land based plane or was it launched off a carrier, Was it a dive bomber, or torpedo bomber?? All of the information I have is vague, any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't have any color photos but I did find this:

Charles

Attachments

• SB2U-3.jpg
    SB2U-3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 167
Matt has the best place I've found...

"I painted the cockpit aluminum, and then painted the upper rear deck and the turret ring light blue-grey. This is the way the SB2U-2 at the Pensacola Museum is painted, and I suspected the same method might have been used on the SB2U-3s when they were fully camouflaged."

Hallo Chofer136,

Welcome to the forum.Stay with us longer, please and enjoy.

Concerning the Vidicator you should try to find a pic of the particular aircraft you want to make.It is the only way to find out how she was painted..Look at these link ,please.Maybe there you could find infos you need.

"Marines at Midway Part 1 - VMSB-241 SB2U-3 BuNo 2054" by Joe Lyons (Accurate Miniatures 1/48)
SB2U-3 Vindicator Review by Steven Eisenman (Accurate Miniatures 1/48)

Aditionaly I included here some profiles. source unknown.

BTW Cool pic Charles.:D THX for posting.:D

Attachments

• SB2U-3_.jpg
    SB2U-3_.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 206
  • SB2U-3_1.jpg
    SB2U-3_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 210
  • SB2U-3_2.jpg
    SB2U-3_2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 217
My kit is an revell I found this kit at an garage sale, Thank you for the pictures I think I can make this Vindicator presentable

Glad I helped a little bit.:D

And here you are some more pics. Source unknown

Attachments

• SB2U-3_3.jpg
    SB2U-3_3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 183
  • SB2U-3_4.jpg
    SB2U-3_4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 164
  • SB2U-3_5.jpg
    SB2U-3_5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 145