Scale 1/48th, A-4G Skyhawk, RAN V805 Sqn

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne, and hello Phil

I completed this model over a year ago, as my first attempt it has lots of things about it I would have liked done better. I plan to do another A-4, in 1/72, once my boy is a little older, and I can prise myself away from my RC helos.

Just the same I am still generally happy with my effort. It is in a case now, and has pride of place in my home office. Provided you dont look too closely, it looks really cool.

A postscript on the pilot of this ill fated bird. Baddams transferred to the RN in 1983, after the fixed wing elements of the RAN were grounded ( a sad finish to a proud arm of the RAN....the Skyhawks were sold to the RNZAF, but the Trackers despite havbing been modernized and refurbished only 8 years earlier, were allowed to rot on the side of the tarmac). I read he ended up CO of one of the Harrier sqns, served in the post 1991 no-fly zone patrols, and recently retired, having had his mount (the Sea Harrier) taken from under him again

I have a new airbrush, and compressor, and have been messing around with it. I think my next effort will be to re-paint my Wessex (which I ruined some months ago, and has been in storage ever since).

My aim is to re-start my model projects just before Xmas

Last edited:
I just read the whole thread of the build of this A4. Well done indeed, a really well researched and built model, particularly interesting as you were doing this specific airplane with its unique history. I hope your next project gets off to a good start; we'll watch with interest.

Parsifal, Great to hear that things go well. Yes you are correct about Dave Baddams. There are quite a few pages about his adventures in UKland in the 'BonaJet' as he calls it in the 4.4GB PDF (or variations thereof that may include it). :D

Another note for anyone interested is that Mark Binskin was on the same A4G OFS with Dave back in 1979-80. Mark stayed in Oz with the RAAF. Today he is CAF Chief of Air Force. What a ride! Also lots about all related stories in the 4.4GB PDF (why it is so large).

You are welcome to e-mail me - my e-mail is visible on this forum I believe. I'm happy to e-mail small portions of PDF to you if downloading the main PDF (or smaller) is difficult.

BTW my night rampstrike story used to be on [h]ttp://www.filefront.com/user/SpazSinbad until recently most of the files (all under 1GB then under 600Mb were deleted) without any warning. I'll upload it again there now. The paint scheme drawings for the A4G were removed also so these should be up there again within a day or so.

[h]ttp://www.filefront.com/17358746/Ramp-Strike-01-Sept-71-no8.pdf (7.5Mb)

Two Tone 'Grey' Camo Original Dove Grey/white Paint Scheme PDF (7Mb) here now:

[h]ttp://www.filefront.com/17358836/Grey&CamoA4GskyhawkRANFAAschemes.pdf (7Mb)

Last edited:
This 13Mb PDF has official reports videos about the loss of A4G Skyhawks 875 and 885 respectively on 02 Oct and 21 Oct 1980 in the Indian Ocean after an engine failure for 875 off the catapult; and for 885 a holdback failure, both with pilot survival via successful ejections. Any confusion about aircraft paint schemes at time of loss will be cleared up by the information in this PDF. Please use Adobe Reader 9.4 in Windows for the popups and videos for all the PDFs mentioned in this thread. TAH.

Download LossOf875885reportsTOUCHDOWN_3 1997plus.pdf (13Mb)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back