Scale 1/48th, A-4G Skyhawk, RAN V805 Sqn

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the advice. I am getting happier, its better than I thought. Ive learnt a lot even in this one build.

Now for another dumbass question. Before I lacquer, should I run a very light sand to reduce the ridges from the brush marks. They are faint, but visible. I have some ultra fine wet n dry (1500 grains per inch) that I was thinking of applying wet, just to get things as smooth a I can.

Or would I wreck everything by trying a stunt like that????

Difficult to answer without actually seeing the model 'in the flesh'. I think I'd tend not to, but if the brush marks are really visible, especially when viewed along the horizontal axis, and can be felt with the fingers, then it might be worth a very light polishing. BUT - when the paint has hardened for at least 48 hours.
Brush marks, as opposed to ridges of paint where masking has been done, won't really sand or polish out totally, so it's normally best to leave it. However, given that it's matt paint, a rub over with a damp cloth will often even things out, as what you are seeing is actually a sort of powdery deposit of dried pigment, more prevalent in matt paints. This will mostly smooth out when wiped with the damp cloth, and when the clear coat(s) are applied, the finish should look even, unless the brush marks are so bad that a re-paint is called for!!

I thought u were using an airbrush Parsifal????

Too big of a step???

In a word, yes. Ive done spray jobs before, but all I got with this smaller gun was spatter and mess. I think i was getting insufficient air flow across the needle.... I will practice a bit before I move into that area

Last edited:
Hi guys
Things are progressing quite well, but i have hit a bit of a hurdle. I wanted to finish the A-4 in the role that it was most often used in the RAN, and which was somewhat unique. The A-4G was configured and optimised as an air defence fighter being wired to accommodate up to 4 x AIM 9B sidewinder missiles. However the ordinance available in the kit does not include any of these missiles. If I am going to fit sidewinders to my A-4, I will need to either scratch build them, or find another source. I cant find another source, so I will have to try my hand at fabrication. To do that I will need a good line drawing or illustration of the missile. I dont suppose anyone has such a drawing???

Also, I am not completely happy with the visible part of the ejection seat. Does anyone have any good photographic evidence of what an A-4 E/F/G ejection seat looked like, including colours????

Sorry I can't help with any drawings mate , but I maybe able to help with the actual missiles

I've got a 1/32 F-16 kit to build , comes with a load of ordanance that I won't use

Let me know what size your after and you maybe able to base the 4 x AIM 9B sidewinder missiles on them

Can't make any promises though sorry

Sorry I can't help with any drawings mate , but I maybe able to help with the actual missiles

I've got a 1/32 F-16 kit to build , comes with a load of ordanance that I won't use

Let me know what size your after and you maybe able to base the 4 x AIM 9B sidewinder missiles on them

Can't make any promises though sorry

Thanks 109, and as before I may take you up on your kind offer if my efforts at fabricating my own ordinance are a failure.

But I have found the dimensions of the missile, and what it looks like. From there I have worked out the dimension I need to adopt at 1/48 scale.

The missile body needs to be 5.9 mm long, and the diameter needs to be 2.8 mm since the rocket was 2.85 metres in length and the diameter was 127mm.

I have 4mm diameter styrene tube, which is a bit big, but i figure my missiles will simply look badas*ed if they are bigger than they should. I also have ).5mm styrene flat sheet to make the fins.

I will see if I can do a credible job tonite and post my efforts later. Hopefully it wont be too embarrassing

Anyway, here are the drawings I will be using

Attachments

• Sidewinder drawings.jpg
    Sidewinder drawings.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 75
but i figure my missiles will simply look badas*ed

:lol: , yeah they proberly will

Checked the kit and the smallest ones I think ( can't measure it that accurately) are just abit bigger than 5mm , sorry!

but good luck!

Hi mate. If your Sidewinders don't work out, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be fine, then both Hasegawa and Tamiya do, or did, aircraft weapons sets, which included the AIM9, though they might be 9L's. There was also the Russian 'Atol', which looks the same externally.
I've tried to find some pics of the ejector seat, without luck so far, but you might find one on this web-site
www.seatejector.com
If memory serves, it's a French site, but has a load of pics of most seats, including some older or obscure units, mostly in colour. Hope this helps.

Hi mate. If your Sidewinders don't work out, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be fine, then both Hasegawa and Tamiya do, or did, aircraft weapons sets, which included the AIM9, though they might be 9L's. There was also the Russian 'Atol', which looks the same externally.
I've tried to find some pics of the ejector seat, without luck so far, but you might find one on this web-site
www.seatejector.com
If memory serves, it's a French site, but has a load of pics of most seats, including some older or obscure units, mostly in colour. Hope this helps.

If that site doesn't work, try this one:

http://www.ejectionsite.com/seatgalnf.htm

You probably want Hasegawa's Weapon set C - U.S. Missiles Gun Pods (X48-3)
5 Sprues (2 x A, 2 x B, 1 x Clear) and 1 sheet of decals

HS_X48_3.jpg

which includes the following:

AIM-9B Sidewinder x 4
AIM-9D Sidewinder x 4
AIM-9E Sidewinder x 4
AIM-9J Sidewinder x 4
AIM-9L Sidewinder x 4
AIM-4D Falcon x 4
AIM-4G Falcon x 4
AIM-7F Sparrow x 4
AGM-65 Maverick x 6
AGM-45 Shrike x 2
AGM-78 Standard x 2
AGM-88 HARM x 2
SUU-23A Gun Pod x 2 (includes sharkmouth decals)
Mk. 4 HIPEG 20mm Gun Pod x 2
GPU-5/A 30mm Gun Pod x 2
AERO 5A-1 Launcher x 2
AERO 7A-1 Launcher x

I'm pretty sure that set is still available. :D

Oh dear, I should have checked the thread before running off and fabricating my sidewinders.

I tried to find a distributor for the Hasegawa weapons set, but none are listed on the net. There is a place near Canberra that is one of the best modeling shops in Australia, I will check with tham and see if they have the "c" set available.

In the meantime, have a look at the sidewinders I have fabricated and let me know what you think. They are painted in the scheme as I remember them, with red tips, a yellow band in the middle and a white aft section. I would very much like what you guys think....should I purchase the after market kit, or stay with the home made jobs....

I am getting close to application of the Decals. Are there any tips or tricks you guys would like to give me before I embark on that process. Should I use water, or the fluid that you can buy to apply them????

Attachments

• Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 67
Decals...

What I used to do and still will do, is just cut the decal I want to put on then and now off and put it into a cup of warm water and give it a minute or two and it should come off of the paper (not sure what it's called) and have a tweezer handy to grab it, GENTLY. Then just apply it. Be careful they rip easily.

I'm sure there are other ways that guys do it here. Decals don't need a fluid to stick, apply it when wet and it'll go on and stay on.

I tried to find a distributor for the Hasegawa weapons set, but none are listed on the net. There is a place near Canberra that is one of the best modeling shops in Australia, I will check with tham and see if they have the "c" set available.

Aircraft Weapons C U.S. Missiles Gun Pods (Plastic model) Hasegawa 1/48 Aircraft In Action X48-3

Sprue brothers has them, MegaHobby, Tower Hobbies, Circle C Hobby, and several more.

Try doing a google shopping search on "Hasegawa's Weapon set C"

Last edited:
Update for today

The local hobby shop did have the Hasegawa weapons "C" kit. I bought it, and I fitted my proper to scale sidewinders to the model. Im glad I did, so thanks for saving my bacin Gambit.

My effort had only one real problem, the diameter of the rocket bodies was about twice ans think as it should have been. I also got some information on the colour scheme for the sidewinders used by the Australians, they used an overall white scheme, with some black and yellow, as per the US, but with a spot of red on the nose.

I also started the decals fit. I wrecked my home grown version, because the water caused the inkjet applied images to run. I solved this by printing a second run and applying a sealing agent over the decal. This should also stop the decal from lifting or yellowing with age

Ive been messing about with my airbrush, and got it to work reasonably okay....not too much spatter and reasonably even. nice steady strokes, at the right distance seems to be the way to go. The paint needs to be thin as well...very thin. Any pointers for a novice spraypainter guys???

Anyway, here are the progress photos....

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 95
Its not finished yet, but after this model, I would like to do a Grumman Tracker , if I can find a model of that type. I want to try my hand at using spray paint as well at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back