Scrapped Airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Anybody need a P-40 or maybe a P-47? We got lots available, cheap!

P-47-Scrap-AvWeek-Nov1945-1.jpg

Recall seeing a reprinted ad from 1947: "P-40's and P-39's. $50 each."

Actually when a friend of mine came to work at the Cape in the late 50's he said he went over to SW FL to a junkyard to look for something and they still had P-40's stacked up, standing on their noses.

And I heard of a case where a man got into oilfield equipment supply after WWII. His business was quite successful and years later he sold it. His son worked for the company after his father had died and was given the job of going round the country and disposing of old equipment and facilities that his father had accumulated. One day he and his cousin, who also worked for the company, went to investigate an airplane hangar in AZ. They knew what they would find, just like all the other warehouses full of worn out oilfield equipment. But when they walked in the hangar what they found was a P-38 Lightning.

His cousin despaired, "What is it going to take to get this thing out of here?" But he replied, "Oh, I think we won't have any trouble getting rid of this." He asked his Mom if his Dad ever bought an airplane and she replied that yes, she recalled that he did. It was an airplane that he had admired in WWII, some kind of twin engine machine.

Last edited:
Remnants of a Douglas B-23 that crashed at Loon Lake, Idaho during WW2.

Here's the story:
The B-23 "Dragon Bomber" Crash Site and Wreck
It's quite a tale.

The attachments are my photos of the Loon Lake bomber taken June 2009. Rode there on our dirt bikes.

In the famous movie, "The Best Years of Our Lives", there's quite a scene that takes place in a military aircraft scrapyard. P-40 hulks lined up, and one of the movie characters spends some time in a B-17 being scrapped.

Attachments

• Bomber and description.JPG
    Bomber and description.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Cockpit from left.JPG
    Cockpit from left.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Byron and Bomber.JPG
    Byron and Bomber.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 49
  • BF Goodrich Silvertown Tire.JPG
    BF Goodrich Silvertown Tire.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 63
Remnants of a Douglas B-23 that crashed at Loon Lake, Idaho during WW2.

Here's the story:
The B-23 "Dragon Bomber" Crash Site and Wreck
It's quite a tale.

The attachments are my photos of the Loon Lake bomber taken June 2009. Rode there on our dirt bikes.

In the famous movie, "The Best Years of Our Lives", there's quite a scene that takes place in a military aircraft scrapyard. P-40 hulks lined up, and one of the movie characters spends some time in a B-17 being scrapped.
That was a great movie. I just couldn't watch those B-17's being chopped up.

Here is a "scrapped airplane" for you. After WWII B-17's in flying condition were being sold cheaply, so a man fro Oregon bought one, even though he had no pilot's license. He wrecked the first one he bought while trying to take off and they shoved it to one side and gave him another. He flew it to Oregon where he erected it as a gas station. It is now being restored.

B-17GasStation-960-2032620383.jpg

Last edited:
Don;t know where the Ju88 picture was taken. This one is from Davis Monthan AFB.

B-26_D-M_09091968_1280.jpg

And these are of the B-29 Doc, taken at China Lake, I assume
doc-desert-2.jpg
doc-desert-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back