Scratchbuilt seatbealts.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi....

I like to write down certain techniques in a notebook, I was curious, what ways there are for scratchbuilding seatbelts.

It is not for now, just for the future :D

There is a few materials you can use for the purpose. Thin aluminium foil, old tape from records etc. The aluminium foil is available of a couple of thickness.So it is easy to get a correct one for any scale.Also it is easy in shapping and cutting with knives, scissors etc... so making of thin strips is easy as well.Sometimes its facture is like a canvas structure.Then you can add a few buckles,brackets etc... and you have these seatbelts

Wojtek is dead right Harrison. On 1/48th scale and larger, the lead foil from the necks of wine bottles is ideal, if you can still find some. Most bottles now use a plastic material, but the lead foil can be bought, at a price, from model suppliers. I use the alloy foil from the packages my pain killers come in, which is a common material on many foil packed products. It's thicker than kitchen foil and, as Wojtek mentioned, will cut, shape and bend and conform easily. You can see some of the belts I've made in the various threads. It's only the arthritis which prevents me from making better examples - someone with normal dexterity shouldn't have a problem, it just needs a little patience. Various thicknesses of paper can also be used, but with the foil, this can also be used to make the buckles, fastening lugs etc.

Wojtek is dead right Harrison. On 1/48th scale and larger, the lead foil from the necks of wine bottles is ideal, if you can still find some. Most bottles now use a plastic material, but the lead foil can be bought, at a price, from model suppliers. I use the alloy foil from the packages my pain killers come in, which is a common material on many foil packed products. It's thicker than kitchen foil and, as Wojtek mentioned, will cut, shape and bend and conform easily. You can see some of the belts I've made in the various threads. It's only the arthritis which prevents me from making better examples - someone with normal dexterity shouldn't have a problem, it just needs a little patience. Various thicknesses of paper can also be used, but with the foil, this can also be used to make the buckles, fastening lugs etc.

Harrison is going to get a reputation here I can see it....hanging around his parents at dinner parties, trying to scab up the corks of used wine bottles, saying to mum and dad, "drink up...finish the bottle".......lol

Seriously this information is invaluable. i am currently working on my Wessex, and wish I had known this information when fabricating the safety harness in that model. I used thinly cut styrene strips, which was okay, but not as good as i had hoped.

I will use this knowledge in my next project (probably a Sea Fury)

:lol: Parsifal, I'll be standing in the corner waiting and then when they turn there head I'll snatch the bottle and run!

Terry and Wojtek I really appreciate your input!!!!! I'll look out for the wine bottles :D

Hi....

I like to write down certain techniques in a notebook, I was curious, what ways there are for scratchbuilding seatbelts.

It is not for now, just for the future :D

I use the alloy foil from the packages my pain killers come in, which is a common material on many foil packed products. It's thicker than kitchen foil and, as Wojtek mentioned, will cut, shape and bend and conform easily.

\\:D/

Thanks for asking that question H. Terry's answer had me diving into the garbage bin retrieving my empty tablet alloy foil packets discarded this morning. They are just great with a nice mesh pattern that looks just like material weave. I could very well be using on on the Stuka Heavy Hitters GB.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

On 1/48th scale and larger, the lead foil from the necks of wine bottles is ideal, if you can still find some. Most bottles now use a plastic material, but the lead foil can be bought, at a price, from model suppliers.

Errr, I'm pretty sure I can lay my hands on about 3 dozen of the foil wrappers from around the top of wine bottles if anyone is interested. As to exactly HOW I came to have that much, well let's just leave some things to the imagination, shall we? :lol: :occasion5:

I think that the seat in any model is a focal point when looking in the cockpit. Like others I use masking tape on 1/72 models. However on 1/48th scale I have started using the very thin metal foil that is found around the cork and neck of wine bottles. This metal is similar to lead (I don't think lead is used anymore), it is very thin, cuts easily and takes paint without flaking. The buckles are from very fine electrical wire. I have filed the end of a pair of tweezers (forceps) to give the shape I require.

P1020367.jpg

This is a P 51C I am in the process of completing.

Oh almost forgot - to get the metal off the wine bottle it MUST be opened ...................... would be a shame to waste a newly opened bottle of wine ;)

Anyone ever considered making a mold of their scratch built parts and sharing them????? I have just molded the control surfaces for the Eduard 1/48 spit 22/24, the no engine version. From these I will remove the model parts, fit the cast pieces for movable ailerons, horiz stab and trim tabs. This is coz I put the stick forward and left, so I will match the surfaces. This is just to make EXTRA work for myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers, Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back