Show of force!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And I can tell u just how much we liked those FAC's.... If we didnt have our Seawolves with us, the FAC was the guy on the other end of my stick....

Hehe, I bought a case of COLD beer for a FAC in Somolia..... This cat had balls this big around... *makes hand gesture to bowling ball size*

Nuff about that...

Met a PJ from Nam awhile back... Heard him tell a story about a rescue where he emptied his pistol into 3 NVA to grab the shot and beaten pilot...

1 pistol against 3 AK's is OK in my book....

That's all quite complex then when you look into it.

Britain is just Light Infantry (Varying regiments of different skill [this being the most complex point of British military]), Paras, RAF Regiment (Rockapes), Royal Marines, Special Forces (Quite altered at times, my dad in the Gulf was under SF command...'cos he was working on the Chinooks FAR FAR into Iraq, ahead of most of the grunts...black things, sending the likes of les to do their work, ANYWAY)...that's famously SBS and SAS...

I imagine that for rescuing downed pilots SAS or SBS..possibly Paras would go do the job...even Royal Marines 'cos they're our 'regular elite' as it were...

pD, u do know about the US Airforce Para Rescue Jumpers dont u??? They go down to the pilot suspended from a wire out the side of a CH-53 Jolly Green... (correct if wrong)

By themselves....... With a 9mm and a spare clip..... And someone called me a hero???

HA!

That's insane! Are those men insane!? They have to be insane...tell me they're insane! I've heard about those but I never knew how they did it. They must get some form of support from close support aircraft or something, surely.

I know in Vietnam they had special teams waiting on carriers for rescuing downed pilots. I've read a story about a Recce Voodoo pilot being shot down over the sea, and these Vietcong were going out to him to get him...and this Seaplane (can't remember what it was) planted itself between him and the VC...and these two A-1 Skyraiders came in and blasted the place to hell while he was pulled into the Seaplane...while F-104s flew high cover.

When I left the MEPS station to go to Lackland AFB for basic training, the guy on the flight with me there and the whole time in basic with our group went to PJ training. They really are hardcore. They are an interesting group to watch train too. The have the CH-53 and usually an attack helo or two along for support and air cover if needed. They go in pretty well armed, but still, to hang out in bad guy land in a helo. You just told every goober with a rifle or RPG where you are.

Not the job I wanted. But then, I wasn;t crazy about combat comm either. I remember my first TDY deployment. We were out in the middle of nowhere in one of those third world toilets. It was hotter than hell and even more humid. We were humping the boonies and I thought to myself, "What the fuck is this? I joined the AIR FORCE for crying out loud. This is the job for the Army or the Marines!"

All in all, it wasn't too bad. I got to deal with extreme weather, huge freakin bugs and some bad guys that were animals. I have never worked so hard, sweated so much or been shit-your-pants scared in my life. But I can also say we played with some cool toys, shot some bitchin weapons and saw places and things that most people never will, and some that you could never dream of.

And when it came time to play, we drank hard, laughed til we peed and lived it up like there was no tomorrow. We had to, because that was always a possibility that was never spoken of, but kept in the back of your mind.

Perhaps I am being a bit philosophical about it now, after 20 years, but the biggest fear that I remember was letting my buddies down when the shit hit the fan. We all had jobs to do and were all scared shitless, so maybe that was the main fear because we were all afraid. The true measure of a warrior is what happens to him when the bullets start singing by. Some of the toughest talking guys turn to mush while the timid quiet ones end up surprising you.

I have spoken too a couples of guys from The Regiment ( its what the members of the SAS call themselves unless its somebody like Chris Ryan trying to make money out of books) not seen them in action.
As with most special forces not many do and I'm 90% sure I worked with a guy once who was EX regiment.
My father used to land various special forces on raids over too France and Holland before D-Day (he only did it cause it paid 2s6d per day extra) he all ways liked the Army Commandos.
All different shapes and sizes of blokes all ultra-fit all viscous when required but all intelligent , extremly self motivated and not lovers of bullshit.
One raid he told me of landing commandos near a small coastal town upon returning to me old mans landing craft they brought back an officer and his bit of stuff that they had suprised in mid shag the girl was'nt too pleased as she was Dutch and did'nt fancy going too England in her night cloths.

My dad had helped load up the Chinooks in Iraq with these Special Forces lads. He still laughs to this day at some of them, they were all pack and no man!
He also, while on exercise got attacked by SAS. They were told the SAS were coming, as they were on exercise too...and they just ransacked the place. My dad says they saw 'em a mile off because they were just pissing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back