Siege of Malta Camouflage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Went looking for a photo of yellow 3 today but didn't find one, sadly.

NJ most of the time (period) the white was a 1/3 portion on the spinner. The rest of the spinner was Black-Green RLM70.

Couple of examples...F-4's

Yellow 1 + - no white wingtips, Green Spinner white not visible.

Yellow 2 + - no white wingtips, Green Spinner white not visible.

Yellow 9 + - no white upper wingtips, lower not visible. Green/White spinner just visible.

Yellow 12 + - no white wingtips, Green Spinner white not visible.

Yellow 5 and 6 + - G-2's no white wingtips have the 1/3 white spinner.

Just like me. I haven't found any pic of the Yellow 3 so far.But ,looking at other JG53 F-4s of the same period of early 1942 and operated at Comiso airfield I noticed that spinners were painted with white in quarter.White bands on fuselages like it was shown in profiles.No evidence that the wingtips were white painted.But general LF camo rules ordered this.In summer of 1943 some of Bf109s I saw in pics had their spinners whole dark painted or as in the uploaded pic with white rings or a spiral but those were G version.There is another possiblity of painting additional quick ID elements.If you look at the pic closer you can notice that the underside of engine cowling could be yellow painted.In some profiles of Bf109F of 4./JG53 and 5./JG53 and in the uploaded profiles these areas are yellow painted.In a couple of profiles the rudders were white painted as well but I'm not surre if it's correct.So we can assume that the Bf in our profile is almost correct.

Attachments

• Bf109G2R6Trop III_JG53 Yellow14 1943.jpg
    Bf109G2R6Trop III_JG53 Yellow14 1943.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 200
  • Bf109G6Trop 7JG53 Sicily 1943_.jpg
    Bf109G6Trop 7JG53 Sicily 1943_.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Bf109G6Trop 6JG53 Italy 1943_.jpg
    Bf109G6Trop 6JG53 Italy 1943_.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 210
Hi Wurger,

Sorry I haven't been able to check into this discussion in the past few weeks. Glad to see it has progressed, though.

I'm thinking the tropical scheme profile you posted of the one further up from Italy May 1942 is best for my timeline. But the two colour profiles above: what time period/location are we looking at for those two camo patterns?

These infos you have in their names.If you uplad them and save you will see.
The first profile Sicily early 1943 and the second Italy the same period.Besides these profiles are examples for painting of quick ID elements on aircraft in Italy.What is more, these are connected to Njaco's question. :)

THX Wayne but now I'm really undecided!! I have half completed Fw 190, Hs 129 and a Wildcat that I can't figure out what to finish and I was about to start a Fw 200 but now this!!

BTW I have a diecast Hartmann "yellow 1" that is very similar to that camo except for yellow undercowling and wingtips. Very close to the profile of yellow 1 above. Is this correct?

And I also noticed my "Yellow 14" has the incorrect spinner! UGHH!

The yellow markings would be correct for Hartmann's aircraft it should also have a partial yellow fuselage band for the Eastern front.....

You definitely have the modellers disease, you can't just do one and finish it, you have lots on the go at the same time...:D ...join the club, mate!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back