Single and 2-Stage Merlin Pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
I said I'd get some pics of the single and 2-stage Merlins that are sitting on stands at the museum, and here they are. The V-1650-7 is going in one our P-51Ds and the Merlin 224 will go back into the Ha.1112 when the restoration is completed. The 224 will have to be looked at since it experienced a prop strike some years back in 2000 during the filming of "Pearl Harbor."

V_1650_7_Labeled.jpg

It has Rolls-Royce valve covers because that is what was lying around when they built it up out of parts. I have seen them with plain valve cover and with the Rolls-Royce valve covers in about equal measure.

Oops, the labels didn't come across exactly right, but the top arrow is the left mag, the middle arrow is the second stage wheelcase and the bottom arrow is the first stage wheelcase.

Here is the dataplate:
V_1650_7_Dataplate.JPG

Next post.

Last edited:
Thanks. It is the first time I've seen a single-stage and a 2-stage Merlin on stands within feet of one another and was just too good a photo op to pass up.

One of the 29's is going into a Hurricane we are restoring to static/engine running condition. The other is a spare. Thread, with pics, is here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/warbird-displays/calgarys-hurricane-move-34551.html?highlight=calgary+hurricane

The 113/114 pair is for a Mosquito, also being restored to engine running static condition. The engines are still in the cowls and will be sent down to Vintage V-12 when we strip them down later this year. Pics and thread here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/warbird-displays/mosquito-rs700-restoration-38333.html?highlight=mosquito+rs700

Nixon does pretty well with Merlins. If I were having one rebuilt, I'd send it to Mike, too.

Sort of sorry to hear they will be static but runnable. Wish they would be flyable, but running beats non-running, doesn't it?

If there is any great warbird a relative novice could be let loose in, the Hurricane comes to mind. It is a very well-behaved aircraft with few surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back