Sky Model Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Florence

Senior Airman
Sep 27, 2009
NSW, Australia
Has anybody used these bad boys before?
Printed in Italy by Cartograf.
Enough to do 37 different 109's apparently. Only have 3 in the stash.
They looked too good and I could'nt resist adding to the aftermarket pile.

Attachments

• Sky48Bf109c.jpg
    Sky48Bf109c.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Sky48Bf109a.jpg
    Sky48Bf109a.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Sky48Bf109f.jpg
    Sky48Bf109f.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Sky48Bf109d.jpg
    Sky48Bf109d.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Sky48Bf109e.jpg
    Sky48Bf109e.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Sky48Bf109g.jpg
    Sky48Bf109g.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Sky48Bf109b.jpg
    Sky48Bf109b.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 184
Impressive ! Not too sure about some of the colours though. For example, both of Wick's aircraft should have a blue pennant with a yellow sword, reflecting the colours of the Swedish flag, a family connection with the Kommodore of JG2.

I picked up their early P-40 sheet a while back but haven't used it yet so don't know how well they work. Priced reasonably and huge number of aircraft covered.

I have a sheet for the Hurricane II but have not cut into it yet. They look OK but can't say much else.

I have their German aircraft in Italian markings and their P-47 sheets (both in 1/72). I've heard from folks that the color call outs can be iffy. Accuracy is sometimes an issue. But bang for the options, nothing beats their sheets!

Sure is value for money. With some kit decals not being up to scratch I thought this was the ultimate replacement sheet. Thanks for the heads up about the colours.

Sure is value for money and, apart from the pennants mentioned, the tone of the other colours might be due to the reproduction on the computer and monitor.

Wick's aircraft carried the pennant of 3./JG2. It was a blue Staffelkapitan's pennant with a yellow dagger and yellow lettering of the old hunting cry "Horrido". A German friend explained it to me as being roughly equivalent to the english "Tally-Ho". It may indeed have its colours originating in Staffelkapitan Hptm. Hennig Strumpell's Swedish ancestry. Following the battle of France Strumpell was appointed Gruppekommandeur of I/JG2 and was replaced by Wick whose subsequent carreer can only be described as meteoric. Wick's personal emblem was a Kingfisher which I don't see on the sheet (could be my old eyes!)
Here's the man himself. You can see the Kingfisher forward of the "chevron"

wick-1.gif

The pennant was discontinued in November 1940 following Wick's death.
BTW there are some very minor issues with one or two of the other emblems but that shouldn't stop anyone using the sheet. Cartograph decals are usually very good.
Cheers
Steve

I have a couple of the Italian sets, and just used some off the Macchi 205 set. I have to say, these are some of the best I've seen, almost non-existant carrier film, really solid opaque whites, and settle down with just a touch of set-sol.
You do have to watch out for the color call outs though, for instance alot of, if not most, C.202s and 205s had the upper camoflague wrap around the fuselage, and just the lower wings and horizontal stab were gray, but the Sky Models sheet shows every option with the full undersides in gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back