Small Aircraft Crashes Into New York City High-Rise Building

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh and my most sincere thanks for that online sectional. I never knew about that site. Great stuff!

Oh and my most sincere thanks for that online sectional. I never knew about that site. Great stuff!
No sweat, enjoy...

Look at the airspace around NYC - your METARS showed broken and overcast, 1,600 and 1,800 feet - look what the chart shows, towers 1515!

tile_13_15_1_20_23.jpg

It looks like they were real close to LaGuardia. They either got chased away or ran into a wll of soup and tried to turn around. In any case the East River isn't the place to do a 180 degree turn at 1000' (the news said they were at 600' when they hit the building)

that VFR route is below the height of most of the obstructions and from what I've heard is not monitered by ATC it is a seen and be seen area . It doesn't look like a good spot for a 180 but a point I'd like to make is that pilots sometimes stretch the truth a bit back in the 80's a large US carrier gave the pilots a bonus for fuel savings so the pilots would say they had the aerodrome visually when in our minds and other traffic it was not and they would proceed with a visual approach so they would not have to do the full IMC approach but abreviated the turn on to final to pick up the localizer at 3 or 4 miles hence saving fuel.

that VFR route is below the height of most of the obstructions and from what I've heard is not monitered by ATC it is a seen and be seen area . It doesn't look like a good spot for a 180
I lived in that area and it is very congested fron the surface to 1500 feet.
but a point I'd like to make is that pilots sometimes stretch the truth a bit back in the 80's a large US carrier gave the pilots a bonus for fuel savings so the pilots would say they had the aerodrome visually when in our minds and other traffic it was not and they would proceed with a visual approach so they would not have to do the full IMC approach but abreviated the turn on to final to pick up the localizer at 3 or 4 miles hence saving fuel.
Very True!

how much damage was done to the building? any pictures?

N.Y. plane crash kills Yankee pitcher on Yahoo! News Photos

So - anyone else wondering why the instructor let this all happen? I'm guessing he was inst rated. He shoulda known what was going down. How about talking to atc and getting and IFR clearance and getting under their positive control. It seems many when they hit trouble do not want to ask atc for assistance. Obviously you must maintain flight free of clouds, if you can't your not VFR. Maybe there was considerable head down time while they were trying to figure out what the hell to do. how else do you hit a building.

So - anyone else wondering why the instructor let this all happen? I'm guessing he was inst rated. He shoulda known what was going down.
I looked him up on line. Instrument, multi-engine, etc., etc.
How about talking to atc and getting and IFR clearance and getting under their positive control. It seems many when they hit trouble do not want to ask atc for assistance.
Yep - I've done it before, it's a no-brain-er. Almost like someone who refuses to ask for directions when they are lost.

Obviously you must maintain flight free of clouds, if you can't your not VFR. Maybe there was considerable head down time while they were trying to figure out what the hell to do. how else do you hit a building.
The SR20/22 has all kinds of gadgets and neat equipment and sometimes there is too much time screwing around with these things instead of flying the aircraft. On the other hand not fully knowing how to operate them could be just a deadly. I went to a CFI seminar last weekend and this exact subject was discussed.

His instructor was with him but unless he was giving him instrument instruction (that didn't seem likely) Lidle was still PIC. At the same time his instructor should of realized the risk of what they were doing (and tried to mitigate it) way before they decided to fly up the East River....

BTW - I read on Friday, the FAA closed the VFR corridor along the East River. They only allow helicopters and a small seaplane operator to go in there without calling ATC.

Yep - correct! Not a place for a novice pilot or anyone not familiar with the area. Flying there on a day with falling visibility was just plain stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back