Směr 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC 72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NeverAPro

Airman
Apr 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you a lot for your support while building my Swordfish.

I want to share my initial work in progress on my new kit, the Směr 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC 72.

I will keep you up to date on my work.

Cheers

Very neat! I enjoyed the video very much, but would it be possible to have the text displayed a couple seconds longer? Just was hard to read some of it in its entirety before it skipped to the next step is all. Looking forward to seeing more!:thumbleft:

Very neat! I enjoyed the video very much, but would it be possible to have the text displayed a couple seconds longer? Just was hard to read some of it in its entirety before it skipped to the next step is all. Looking forward to seeing more!:thumbleft:
Thanks for the feedback. I try to aim for 10 minute video parts. I can see form youTube stats that average view time is 5 minutes per video, so I don't want to increase it.

I also speed up most of the video bits, as a 30 second painting or filing bit is boring.

But you are right, I think I sometimes pack too much info in small 4, 5 second takes. I feel that this fast pace I put in the videos helps people to not be bored, but it kind of asks people to pause sometime to process everything, true.

I'll try to slow down the pace of next video to see if it helps. Cheers.

Hi. Here is the Part 2.

Things I like:
- radiator wires was not a bad idea
- engraving the pontoon circles
- I am getting better at putty

Things I didn´t like:
- radiator wires could be better
- I weakened the structs, hope it won´t be a problem

Still not sure on how it will end up in the end, let's see.

See you guys.

Fantastic! I love seeing old kits being built and improved upon. The electronics ribbon idea is genius for representing the radiators and you did a very good job of it. Keep up the nice work, can't wait to see more.

Also, the text was much easier to read this time, thanks!

Neat videos, but just a wee correction; in the first video at the 30 second mark your clip states "Piloted by Francesco Agello on an average speed of 709 km/h he won the trophy..." The MC.72 never won the Schneider Trophy. In fact it never took part. The Italians didn't field a team for the 1931 race, for which the MC.72 was designed. Agello achieved 709 Km/h in 1934, three years after the last Schneider Trophy race, taking the speed record from the Supermarine S.6B that won the 1931 race. By taking victory in 1931, the S.6B won the trophy outright for Britain. It is in the Science Museum, South Kensington, London, along with the winning aeroplane.

43222068704_535d815e34_b.jpg
0407 Science Museum S.6B

Nice clips of the MC.72 though and great build.

Fantastic! I love seeing old kits being built and improved upon. The electronics ribbon idea is genius for representing the radiators and you did a very good job of it. Keep up the nice work, can't wait to see more.

Also, the text was much easier to read this time, thanks!
The ribbon cable is still not thin enough, and I would recommend someone who would read this and try the same, to find something else, maybe some metal mash that is very thin, or try to make one with tape and copper wire, or somehow figure out a way to engrave it. Still way better than the original one.

Thanks, I added an extra music to lengthen the video to +12 minutes and have 6 second subtitles. Yes, it kind of worked better.

Neat videos, but just a wee correction; in the first video at the 30 second mark your clip states "Piloted by Francesco Agello on an average speed of 709 km/h he won the trophy..." The MC.72 never won the Schneider Trophy. In fact it never took part. The Italians didn't field a team for the 1931 race, for which the MC.72 was designed. Agello achieved 709 Km/h in 1934, three years after the last Schneider Trophy race, taking the speed record from the Supermarine S.6B that won the 1931 race. By taking victory in 1931, the S.6B won the trophy outright for Britain. It is in the Science Museum, South Kensington, London, along with the winning aeroplane.

View attachment 5093470407 Science Museum S.6B

Nice clips of the MC.72 though and great build.

You are right, I realized my mistake after I uploaded the video.
I should have known, it was the s5, s6 and s6b with 3 consecutive trophies that got it. I mistook with the Macchi M.39, for some reason.

I wanted to add an YouTube annotation to amend that, but looks like YouTube doesn't do annotations anymore.

As for my crappy little Smer, I am having some interesting ideas for it...

Much work of reconstruction and improvement of several pieces.

The time with the pontoons and the way to level them correctly and then pretend that they are well attached to the fuselage, must have been a bit stressful (within the thrill of being immersed in a project like this). :salute:

Very good work so far.
You have satisfactorily resolved what you have proposed to improve your kit.

Saludos y ...ya queremos ver la pintura!! :thumbup:

As for my crappy little Smer, I am having some interesting ideas for it...

Great to see; I've witnessed your work - you're a craftsman, so it'll be great when you're done.

Guys, I need your expertise on this.

Do you know what were likely the colors for Agello's clothes...

97.jpg

... and for his crew?

62.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Hi guys.
Sorry for the late reply.
I finally started with paint, and begun with Vallejo gloss black primer, but I really hated it. It was sticky, it peeled and it added thickness. I blame me, maybe I didn't mix it properly, or didn't wait enough, but I had to peel it off immediately, as I was not happy at all the rugged surface it left.

M5o4cYKl.jpg

Here the propellers got some Vallejo Aluminium, which I am amazed on how good the paint is. Gold Leaf Tamiya at the rest.

u0oOJPWl.jpg

bEKg3Hrl.jpg

Now, Vallejo Italian Red. The primer leftovers are hard to disguise, I need to add a lot of layers, so I called it a day, I am tired (2h only for masking)

6dL4r1ll.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on what happened with the vallejo black primer?

Haven't used Vallejo primer myself but if you could elaborate a bit more on what you did (thinning, psi etc.) It may allow others to zero in on what went wrong a little better.

Looking very nice so far even with the primer problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back