Somali Hijackers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We will have to agree to disagree on the 'necessity' of this war. I accept it is a possibility, even a probability, but I don't see it as being inevitable. I think that for all of Iran's undoubted threat, there are gesture's like this one, and the talks with the US some weeks back, which show a willingness to engage and offer a possible starting point for dialogue. I also think that certain elements in US politics and society are attempting to ignore these admittedly small and faint opportunities at all costs, and pushing ahead with a war that was planned out and decided upon long ago. Indeed, by refusing to engage with Iran, they are making the war a self-fulfilling prophecy...

What are you talking about? We've done nothing but talk to them for years. That and the odd embargo. But nobody is going to war with Iran. They are going to get the bomb and the middle east is going to get that much more unstable. The US is not going to invade anybody over owning a nuke. But it will be more common for others in the middle east to want one. And that is probably going to happen.

The countries in the middle east aren't particularly worried about the Israelis having a nuke, they've had one for decades. No problem. But the Iranians are making them nervous. An Iranian Nuke gives power to a people with a long history of running the show in the middle east. The West has a tendency to come and go in the middle east and the Arabs know it. But the Iranians (Aka, the Persians of Antiquity) have been around a lot longer, been in control of that area way longer and kind of look at the middle east as their own back yard.

Bush is gone and the US is not going to do anymore than the UN minimum until mushrooms sprout somewhere.

Yeah Comiso, Q-ships sounds just what we need now.

it would be easy to do... an old rust bucket with hidden armaments would mow em down.

hell....

They could charge admission for "Pirate Suppression Cruises"..

2 week cruise:
$1000 and you get a .50 or MK24
$3000 you get a mini gun or 40 mm

GET SOME!!!!!

it would be easy to do... an old rust bucket with hidden armaments would mow em down.

hell....

They could charge admission for "Pirate Suppression Cruises"..

2 week cruise:
$1000 and you get a .50 or MK24
$3000 you get a mini gun or 40 mm

GET SOME!!!!!

Not bad, not bad...

How about we really humiliate them with Girl Scouts firing potato launchers? They could put a notch in their PVC cannon for every loser they kill.

Pardon me for reiterating part of a previous post, but I think we could defend against the pirates by catapulting pork chops, used tampons, and Madonna CDs.

BTW, these pirates have no flair for fashion. They aren't like the cool pirates of the past that had a patch over their eye, a parrot on their shoulder, and say stuff like "aarghh Matee".

:lol:
Pardon me for reiterating part of a previous post, but I think we could defend against the pirates by catapulting pork chops, used tampons, and Madonna CDs.

BTW, these pirates have no flair for fashion. They aren't like the cool pirates of the past that had a patch over their eye, a parrot on their shoulder, and say stuff like "aarghh Matee".

Gentlemen, all else aside, these folks are pirates, plain and simple. Iran, Sudan, Rodan or Dapper Dan has nothing to do with the fact that these scumbags need to be shot on site if confronted and if a few of these idiots were thrown into the ocean as shark bait I'd bet they would not be as brazen in attacking these merchant ships.

If I was a captian of a military ship and confronted these asses I'd take no prisoners - PERIOD!

"Skinny Shark Bait." SSB - that would be the acronym for dealing with this problem.

Great, if I can recall, there's no government. I still think a few 130's would make those guys think twice.

The boats are small and the coast is large. I think it would be hard to find them.

I'm glad that there hasn't been any leftist rhetoric on this thread spewing out something like "we need to understand them, find out what is bothering them".:rolleyes:

The boats are small and the coast is large. I think it would be hard to find them
That's why I think Marine or SF cells on nation-specific assets could work, no need to go looking for them and if they've boarded without permission toting AK-47s, no real ambiguity as to their intentions.

A good photo expose on the events off the Somali coast:

Pirates of Somalia - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Check out the rusty AK-47!

Perhaps I'll be the lone voice in disagreeing about the need to blow up the pirates, for now that is. It's clear that they value the captured vessels more than the people on board. So far, there hasn't been the willfull killing of hostages. Keeping in mind as well, that we have an international naval forces trying to patrol a coastline which is as long as the eastern coastline of the US. The hostages are also of mixed nationalities. If, for the sake of arguement, US ships decide to send a pirate boat to Davy Jone's locker, and the pirates execute Spanish or Greek hostages, this is going to cause a rift betwen allies. A hostage situation should be treated like any other, don't make the first shot. The pirates, I'm assuming, realize the situation all to well, hence why they've been so succesful in capturing ships. It's the ships they're after.

I think the best thing to do at this point, is to capture as many of them as possible and bring to them to trial for piracy on the high seas and hand out stiff sentences.

I think the best thing to do at this point, is to capture as many of them as possible and bring to them to trial for piracy on the high seas and hand out stiff sentences.

SSB - plain and simple.

If these merchant ships were armed and fought back and carried out "high seas justice" this crap would stop.

A good photo expose on the events off the Somali coast:

Pirates of Somalia - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Check out the rusty AK-47!

Perhaps I'll be the lone voice in disagreeing about the need to blow up the pirates, for now that is. It's clear that they value the captured vessels more than the people on board. So far, there hasn't been the willfull killing of hostages. Keeping in mind as well, that we have an international naval forces trying to patrol a coastline which is as long as the eastern coastline of the US. The hostages are also of mixed nationalities. If, for the sake of arguement, US ships decide to send a pirate boat to Davy Jone's locker, and the pirates execute Spanish or Greek hostages, this is going to cause a rift betwen allies. A hostage situation should be treated like any other, don't make the first shot. The pirates, I'm assuming, realize the situation all to well, hence why they've been so succesful in capturing ships. It's the ships they're after.

the spanish and the greeks (fishermen) deserve what ever they get for screwing with the fishing illegally in somali waters , I know people in this country that would do the same to illegal fishing trawlers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back