Somali Hijackers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Obama was asked several times by a reporter, during a press conference about the mortgage plan, about the Pirate situation. He refused to comment, sticking to the script. No teleprompter, no answer, evidently.

Clinton, showing at least some common sense, said "Specifically, we are now focused on this particular act of piracy and the seizure of a ship that carries 21 American citizens. More generally, we think the world must come together to end the scourge of piracy,".

sounds like a reasoned response by both parties let the professional people do their jobs , think about it for a second the navy has been given the parameters with possible FBI hostage negotiaters let them do the job it isn't an episode of Cops or Americas most wanted

Think Clinton got it right, she's been around longer and knows the right things to say at the right time.

Think Obama is an empty suit. But let's at least acknowledge something happened. Far from being an episode of Cops or America's most wanted, an event has happened on the high seas, involving American citizens, an American flagged vessel and an American warship (with FBI agents on it) and the President registers a "No comment".

Reverse the situation and turn all those individuals into Canadians (with leeway). Wouldn't you expect Harper to at least comment on the situation?

Think Clinton got it right, she's been around longer and knows the right things to say at the right time.

Think Obama is an empty suit. But let's at least acknowledge something happened. Far from being an episode of Cops or America's most wanted, an event has happened on the high seas, involving American citizens, an American flagged vessel and an American warship (with FBI agents on it) and the President registers a "No comment".

Reverse the situation and turn all those individuals into Canadians (with leeway). Wouldn't you expect Harper to at least comment on the situation?
I'm sure many would want that but IMHO its grandstanding for the 15sec video clip let the pros do there jobs without hinderence from the suits . I'm sure the pros have their marching orders from the top if not you have cause to worry.

Would of expected at least a comment out of him, any other head of state would of made comment - or I would of expected to make comment. Hillary at least said something along the right lines.

SSB - plain and simple.

If these merchant ships were armed and fought back and carried out "high seas justice" this crap would stop.

Bingo, Q-ships or other methods of self defence would definitely reduce the problems. The Navy patrolling can only do so much as there a huge surface area of ocean to cover plus the pirates can avoid the Navy's and perform their acts elsewhere. Self defence would be a much better solution than the patrolling which is fairly ineffective and can only do so much.

I saw a news piece a few months ago that painted a sympathetic view of the pirates. According to the story:

Most pirates are not "professional pirates" they are laborers out of work and recruited by a gang leader.

Most pirates leave their families and villages hundreds of miles behind for the promise of "work' as a pirate.

Most pirates have to invest in the process. It's a co-op. They contract for a period of time and have to supply their own weapons and help pay for fuel and other expenses. If there is no "score" there is no pay. They will actually lose money. It's also a way to keep those involved indentured.

The funny thing was that the pirate they were documenting was involved in a small but successful raid. He, along with the other pirates, went into town and spent EVERY LAST DIME on booze and hookers. Nothing was sent back to his family.

Yet they blamed the peer pressure of the situation for the guy spending all his money... If he didnt party with the pirates, they would have looked down on our hero and thought he was weak!

Everybody is a victim except those that are victimized...

I have also read support for the pirates because "the west has over-fished the area around Somalia and dumps toxic waste (including radioactive matter) onto their shores".

Attachments

• sfafqa4.jpg
    sfafqa4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 30
and more are on the way........

"The pirates have summoned assistance - skiffs and motherships are heading towards the area from the coast," said a Nairobi-based diplomat, who spoke on condition on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media. "We knew they were gathering yesterday."

Samaw said two ships left Eyl on Wednesday afternoon. A third sailed from Haradhere, another pirate base in central Somalia, and the fourth one was a Taiwanese fishing vessel seized Monday that was already only 30 miles (48 kilometers) from the lifeboat.

AT&T

A bit of trivia....

The first Navy destroyer on the scene of the recent pirate attack on the Maersk Alabama is the USS Bainbridge, named after William Bainbridge. Anybody know the unique connection here?

A bit of trivia....

The first Navy destroyer on the scene of the recent pirate attack on the Maersk Alabama is the USS Bainbridge, named after William Bainbridge. Anybody know the unique connection here?

He (William Bainbridge) commanded the frigate Philadelphia which was captured by Tripoli pirates after running aground off Tripoli in 1804.

TO

A helicopter could be open to SAM attack, once they realised it was being deployed in the role.
I'm aware of the manpad threat. There is ALWAYS the manpad threat. That doesn't mean you do not utilize your assets.

There could also be the ambiguity issue, on seeing/hearing it coming, it wouldn't take long to ditch a bunch of AK-47s over the side, whip out the rods and say "Hey, international community, we were just fishing and minding our own business and these guys shot our boat up!"
Defended ships. They come to you and in doing so, they bring the Declaration of Unambiguity with them.
There's an easy solution - did you notice the USN said they will be utilizing their ScanEagle in that area.

There's an easy solution - did you notice the USN said they will be utilizing their ScanEagle in that area.

You talking a Hellfire shot from out of the sun? Definitely fix the problem with regards to the "other pirate forces" on their way to the scene. Didn't know the Scan Ealge carried a payload.

Then again, a 5" 54 fired over optic sights would do the job too. Give the Gunner's Mates a little live fire practice (after the appropiate warning and shots fired across the bow, that sort of thing. Don't want to appear to be savages about this thing).

I ran across an image somewhere of about 8 or 9 of the warships grouped. If I had been thinking, I would have grabbed it...it was pretty cool!

1,000 posts, dang...I hadn't noticed! Perhaps for a prize, we should get a night on the town with one of the girls from the "Breaking News!" thread!! :lol:

now thats a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back