Somali Hijackers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think Obama's unwillingness to use force should be written of 'weakness' (although it will be anyway). As Evan has pointed out, going in with guns blazing, or using force of any kind is more than likely to result in the captain's death. This one will have to be negotiated in all likelihood. I know that many here support the line that the US never negotiates with tese kind of people, but how rigidly that line is adhered to will depend entirely, IMHO, on how much the US wants their guy back alive...

Sure, everyone wants the man back alive. I truly hope that there's a solid plan in place to stop this sh*t after this concludes.

I think what people are concerned with is the Obama administration's seeming lack of will to use force across the board, not just in this case... or at least that is the impression I believe he's giving.

Obama's approach is certainly a world away from Bush's - personally I feel it's a change for the better in most respects, but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure what military threat would really be effective in these cases - there isn't a Somali govt as such that can be threatened with armed force, and at present the USN doesn't have the appropriate tactic for the job of fighting piracy - this standoff demonstrates that fact, although I have no doubt the USN and USMC will evolve the necessary procedures and equipment very shortly.

What I am sure of is that if the US tries to end this scenario by force, the captain will be dead within 5 seconds. The French tried storming their yacht the other day and lost a hostage in the process. There is no reason to believe the same won't happen if the Marines go in after this guy. Apart from anything else, how do you get into one of those lifeboats from outside? While the rescuers are scrambling about on the outside, the bad guys have plenty of time to off the captive and cover the very few entrances ready for boarders, I would have thought...

The civilized world and especially America need to develop more HUMINT in the region now that it may prove economically sound policy to protect our interests, as well as electronic eavesdropping. As the trends are pointing to fighting forces in anarchy conditions more then other goverments our inteligence agencies need to adapt faster to these conditions. Hit the pirates at their home using our special operations capable forces. A sort of 21st century Lt. Presley O'Bannon style operation.

Since cost will be an issue the goverments should urge maritime companies to use private military companies to do security in the region full time. I know there are plenty of good former Marines from an assortment of nations that already have some of the skills needed to combat piracy.

Obama's approach is certainly a world away from Bush's -

I don't think President Bush would have gone in with guns blazing, either.

I think all the talking heads are formulating several plans from A to Z. I
also don't think the navies present will allow the pirates' other ships
close...

Charles

If anything, this has drawn a good number of the pirates and thier boats/ships out into the open with the intention of supporting thier 4 compatriots.

If the standoff ends soon, the Navies can easily round up/take out the others alot easier.

at present the USN doesn't have the appropriate tactic for the job of fighting piracy - this standoff demonstrates that fact, although I have no doubt the USN and USMC will evolve the necessary procedures and equipment very shortly.

They have the capability - no doubt about it.

It wasn't the capability I am questioning, it just seems that right now the application of that capability needs to be thought through a little. That is hardly surprising - it's been about two centuries since any navy had to do serious anti-piracy work.

Personally, I'm not sure if private security contractors are the way forward - I think much needs to be done to address the accountability of these organisations in the broadest sense. I would rather see regular forces placed aboard merchantmen as a temporary measure until the situation is either resolved, or the private contractors have a clear set of ROEs and can be held accountable to them - whichever comes first.

It wasn't the capability I am questioning, it just seems that right now the application of that capability needs to be thought through a little. That is hardly surprising - it's been about two centuries since any navy had to do serious anti-piracy work.

Personally, I'm not sure if private security contractors are the way forward - I think much needs to be done to address the accountability of these organisations in the broadest sense. I would rather see regular forces placed aboard merchantmen as a temporary measure until the situation is either resolved, or the private contractors have a clear set of ROEs and can be held accountable to them - whichever comes first.

I definitely have my thoughts regarding application - and I believe that the USN is thinking along the same lines. This problem has an easier solution than you might think...

I just have a feeling that this was done without Obama's approval. Shooting pirates/terrorists is just not the way they want to conduct business.

Obama'a gang look at stuff like this a criminal problem. Plastering the world with wanted posters is more their style.

This was a good way for this to end. Now we need to declare a zone where any small boats will be assumed pirates and attacked. Putting Marines on merchant ships to defend these ships will be a good idea. Pirates will stop attacking when the odds are high they will just be killed.

Bill G.

I just have a feeling that this was done without Obama's approval. Shooting pirates/terrorists is just not the way they want to conduct business.

Obama'a gang look at stuff like this a criminal problem. Plastering the world with wanted posters is more their style.

Bill G.

that is silly , they did the job in what I assume is the best manner, they let the military do its job without political interference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back