Somali Hijackers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anyone hear that the 4th pirate was a 16yo that had surrendered prior to the sniping?

Only flaw in the operation that I can see is that it did not result in 4 dead pirates. But perhaps the above question makes the operation flawless. :toothy:

And now the mamby pambies are coming out of the woodwork complaining that our rescue operation jeopardizes the other 200 hostages scattered throughout Somaliland. Quotes are that the pirates treat their hostages "well" and feed the "sumptious" foodstuffs. My God you would think that the pirates are running a day spa!

Oh... and BombTaxi... you were quick to point out that Bill's declaration of war was improper. Perhaps. But they are considered "enemies of humanity".

It is unfortunate that we quibble over the proper use of legal terms and fail to recognize how these "enemies of humanity" should be properly dispatched. In fact, it is my understanding that your navy is under standing orders NOT to capture these pirates, for fear that if they are subject to death or mutilation by their national laws they might claim asylum under British human rights legislation. Nice. So a war? Nah. Since it makes you feel better, we'll just call it political negotiations with high powered weapons.

Didn't hear people complaining about the rescue Matt. You'd think they'd be happy that the hostage was rescued.

Associated Press April 13 -

"It "could escalate violence in this part of the world, no question about it," said Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.

"We are delighted that the captain has been rescued unharmed," Noel Choong, who heads the International Maritime Bureau's Regional Piracy Center in Kuala Lumpur, said Monday.

"But at the same time we are concerned about the safety of the remaining hostages as well as any future hostages," he said.

He did not elaborate, but for families of the 228 foreign nationals aboard 13 ships still held by pirates, the fear is revenge on their loved ones.

Vilma de Guzman, the wife of Filipino seafarer Ruel de Guzman, who has been held by pirates since Nov. 10 along with the 22 other crew of the chemical tanker MT Stolt Strength, said she fears Phillips' rescue may endanger the lives of other hostages.

"It might be dangerous (for) the remaining hostages because the pirates might vent their anger on them," she said. "Those released are lucky, but what about those who remain captive?"

So far, Somali pirates have never harmed captive foreign crews except for a Taiwanese crew member who was killed under unclear circumstances. In fact, many former hostages say they were treated well and given sumptuous food."

Anyone hear that the 4th pirate was a 16yo that had surrendered prior to the sniping?

It appears that he had an ice pick driven through his hand during the initial raid and had negotiated his removal from the liferaft for treatment. Just heard on the news that he will be tried in the US. Wonder how much that will cost me? :rolleyes: I will gladly donate one .22LR bullet. Rifle shot would be gratis.

Navy 'Pirate Hunters' docu-series greenlit by Spike TV

A new Spike TV pilot will document the U.S. Navy's efforts to combat pirates -- like those making news in the five-day standoff that culminated in Sunday's rescue of American sea captain Richard Phillips -- Variety reports. Pirate Hunters: USN, from 44 Blue Prods. (The True Story of Black Hawk Down), will focus on anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden, where Phillips was taken captive by a band of Somalians. The producers will have cameras aboard warships the USS Boxer, which was on the scene for this week's standoff, and the USS San Antonio.

Navy 'Pirate Hunters' docu-series greenlit by Spike TV | TV, movie and music news | Television | EW.com

Associated Press April 13 -

"It "could escalate violence in this part of the world, no question about it," said Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.

"We are delighted that the captain has been rescued unharmed," Noel Choong, who heads the International Maritime Bureau's Regional Piracy Center in Kuala Lumpur, said Monday.

"But at the same time we are concerned about the safety of the remaining hostages as well as any future hostages," he said.

He did not elaborate, but for families of the 228 foreign nationals aboard 13 ships still held by pirates, the fear is revenge on their loved ones.

Vilma de Guzman, the wife of Filipino seafarer Ruel de Guzman, who has been held by pirates since Nov. 10 along with the 22 other crew of the chemical tanker MT Stolt Strength, said she fears Phillips' rescue may endanger the lives of other hostages.

"It might be dangerous (for) the remaining hostages because the pirates might vent their anger on them," she said. "Those released are lucky, but what about those who remain captive?"

So far, Somali pirates have never harmed captive foreign crews except for a Taiwanese crew member who was killed under unclear circumstances. In fact, many former hostages say they were treated well and given sumptuous food."

I see. Unfortunately, to my knowledge his life was in danger, with an AK in his back. We did the right thing. and hopefully this will serve as an deterent for other pirates.

does it matter if it escalates because of rescuing a sea-Kapaitän ? A country no-matter how powerful goes to keep and protect it's own and it's termed unfair ?

sorry but this kid needs his hands cut-off. what has the world done to pirates through all the ages, ~ guys no-quarter given, any similar looking small vessel out of any somalian port needs to be sunk

MOGADISHU (Reuters) – Somalia's militant Islamist rebel group al Shabaab said Monday it fired mortars at a plane carrying a U.S. lawmaker, a day after U.S. snipers killed three Somali pirates and freed the American ship captain they had been holding hostage.

An al Shabaab spokesman said his group fired at the plane carrying Representative Donald Payne as he left the anarchic Horn of Africa country following a rare one-day visit by a U.S. official. Payne's plane took off safely and no-one was hurt.

The successful rescue of Captain Richard Phillips, who had been held by pirates for five days in a drifting lifeboat after their attempt to hijack the U.S.-flagged container ship Maersk Alabama failed, was hailed in the United States as a "feel-good" story that temporarily lifted the country's spirits in gloomy economic times.

Three U.S. snipers each fired a single shot virtually simultaneously, each killing his target. A fourth pirate was captured alive.

Somali militants fire at U.S. lawmaker

Oh... and BombTaxi... you were quick to point out that Bill's declaration of war was improper. Perhaps. But they are considered "enemies of humanity".

It is unfortunate that we quibble over the proper use of legal terms and fail to recognize how these "enemies of humanity" should be properly dispatched. In fact, it is my understanding that your navy is under standing orders NOT to capture these pirates, for fear that if they are subject to death or mutilation by their national laws they might claim asylum under British human rights legislation. Nice. So a war? Nah. Since it makes you feel better, we'll just call it political negotiations with high powered weapons.

Why do I quibble over legal terminology? How do you explain the fact that enemy troops captured in the War On Terror are nor treated as prisoners of war? Oh, that's right, you call them 'enemies of humanity' and international law no longer applies. I never fail to be astounded by the conservative demand that we all live by rule of law - unless that rule interferes with the execution of foreign policy. It must be a Nixon thing...

Calling a group of people 'enemies of humanity' does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want to them - even if it removes your own moral scruples. Oddly enough, if you kill plenty of Somali pirates, they will probably kill plenty of hostages too - and then the status of the conflict becomes a moot point, because the good guys have lost anyway. While 'skinny shooting galleries' will no doubt boost FOX ratings immensely, they will become infinitely less entertaining when the skinnies respond by killing the hostages and taking a pop at the navy too. These guys are utter scum - but you're proposed solution will just see hostages killed. And as many of these hostages are not American, you might find that their deaths send American credit in the world go down the pan as well.

As for British immigration legislation? It's crap. It doesn't work properly. Steps are been taken to fix it without actually stopping the entry of economic migrants which this country thrives on. The naval standing orders I cannot comment on - it's not information I have any access to.

Call it what you like Matt, it ain't a war, and simply shooting Somalis in boats will not make the problem go away. While East Africa as a whole continues to be one of the most unstable hellholes on the planet, this kind of thing will continue to go on, no matter what nationality commits the actual crimes. Piracy is just one symptom of a massive regional illness which will not be cured by just lancing a few boils...

Why do I quibble over legal terminology? How do you explain the fact that enemy troops captured in the War On Terror are nor treated as prisoners of war? Oh, that's right, you call them 'enemies of humanity' and international law no longer applies. I never fail to be astounded by the conservative demand that we all live by rule of law - unless that rule interferes with the execution of foreign policy. It must be a Nixon thing...
They are treated as prisoners of war! The problem is that the war is not over yet and no country wants them. If I was captured by any country in the world as a POW I would hope it would be by the U.S. The problem is not with the conservatives but with the neo-conservatives and the idiotic liberals who have done more damage to the western world then any enemy could ever hope to achieve in a thousand years. Strength trumps weakness in the real world.

The vast majority of the fighters encountered in the prosecution of the GWOT could hardly qualify for Prisoner of War status as lawful combatants under the Geneva Conventions and Law of Armed Conflict.

I'm not throwing around any fancy names for them such as "enemy of humanity"... I'm just pointing out they don't meet the established criteria of a lawful combatant. Why should they be granted Prisoner of War status?

Who here actually believes that the pirates "leveled the AK-47" at the back of the captain?

I'd prefer to think that they had a shot and took it... why prolong the event?

I'm sure it's on video tape.

does it really matter C ? the 3 paid with their lives, and there will be more following suit

I think it matters in the context that it's a statement of our conviction. There's a big difference between:

"We have ZERO tolerance for pirates, and we will turn your heads into a crimson mist at the earliest opportunity"

and

"We followed rules of the rules or engagement and acted only when the captains life was in eminent danger."

Certainly its prudent to try to negotiate but if we said we took them out cause we had the chance... were taking a stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back