Somali Hijackers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You talking a Hellfire shot from out of the sun? Definitely fix the problem with regards to the "other pirate forces" on their way to the scene. Didn't know the Scan Ealge carried a payload.

Then again, a 5" 54 fired over optic sights would do the job too. Give the Gunner's Mates a little live fire practice (after the appropiate warning and shots fired across the bow, that sort of thing. Don't want to appear to be savages about this thing).

ScanEagle doesn't carry ordnance... I meant that the UAS could provide ISR and prevent the pirates from dumping arms overboard and claiming innocence as Colin had mentioned.

Obama has refused comment on this stuation for the second day in a row. What a prick. I am sure the captain's family is encouraged by his silence. :protest:

They should keep a gun trained on the lifeboat...Morse-Code the Skipper to dive over again, as soon as he's clear, pump that puppy full of lead. Or HE. Or Seals.

A helicopter could be open to SAM attack, once they realised it was being deployed in the role. There could also be the ambiguity issue, on seeing/hearing it coming, it wouldn't take long to ditch a bunch of AK-47s over the side, whip out the rods and say "Hey, international community, we were just fishing and minding our own business and these guys shot our boat up!"

Who cares about a manpad threat. That is why our helos are equipped with an ALQ and other countermeasures. There is a manpad threat in Iraq, and we compared to the millions of hours that are flown, relatively few get hit.

Obama has refused comment on this stuation for the second day in a row. What a prick. I am sure the captain's family is encouraged by his silence. :protest:

IMHO, it is often better in this kind of situation that the politicos pipe down and let the professionals get on with the situation. There is an AEGIS destroyer and a bunch of other ships chasing after a lifeboat in order to rescue this skipper - I don't think anything any politician says will serve to amplify the obvious commitment the US has to getting their guy home safe.

How about coming underneath the craft with a submarine and broach it. Seals jump out and get the captain.

Our Commander-in-Chief leaves something to be desired...

IMHO, it is often better in this kind of situation that the politicos pipe down and let the professionals get on with the situation. There is an AEGIS destroyer and a bunch of other ships chasing after a lifeboat in order to rescue this skipper - I don't think anything any politician says will serve to amplify the obvious commitment the US has to getting their guy home safe.

I'm not expecting him to direct the operations or to disclose them. Just acknowledge what is going on and say something for the captain's family, however small the message.

How about coming underneath the craft with a submarine and broach it. Seals jump out and get the captain.

Our Commander-in-Chief leaves something to be desired...

You make it sound oh so simple...

These pirates know that they are dead meat if we go in like that, and if we try to do something like that, the first shot fired by the pirates will most likely be at the Captain, not at his rescuers.

You make it sound oh so simple...

These pirates know that they are dead meat if we go in like that, and if we try to do something like that, the first shot fired by the pirates will most likely be at the Captain, not at his rescuers.

You are right. I have been watching too many Hollywood movies. :popcorn:

I heard yesterday that other pirates were in other ships heading towards the lifeboat with other hostages that they had, just in case. I believe thats why Petraius was saying he had more ships going.

Would it be too far-fetched to have a Seal team exit a sub (torpedo tubes or DDS), ghost up underneath the lifeboat, quietly take out anybody topside, and storm the thing? Just wondering...

How about some trained Great White Sharks, swim in and tip over the boat, eat the pirates, rescue the Captain.
Seriously though, I think our Pres. is very reluctant to use force, must use the avenue of discussion and diplomacy first? Time to use Snipers is probably past if the Pirates have the other hijacked ships at the location?

Gents, you have to realize it is a covered lifeboat. 4 snipers being able to all get clean shots off at one time on a target that is not clear is a huge risk. And if one misses, I can guarantee you they will kill the captain. They have also closed the portholes that would give any clear shot.

I am sure that many scenarios are being considered, but as long as the captain is on that life boat with 4 armed thugs, they have to be ultra careful. Considering he offered himself to save the rest of his crew, I think the least they can do is to give him the best chance at getting out alive.

Let's not second guess an operation that is current and on-going. Plus, not knowing who might be reading this, we should be careful about throwing out ideas that may be useful to the bad guys.

Gents, you have to realize it is a covered lifeboat. 4 snipers being able to all get clean shots off at one time on a target that is not clear is a huge risk. And if one misses, I can guarantee you they will kill the captain. They have also closed the portholes that would give any clear shot.

I am sure that many scenarios are being considered, but as long as the captain is on that life boat with 4 armed thugs, they have to be ultra careful. Considering he offered himself to save the rest of his crew, I think the least they can do is to give him the best chance at getting out alive.

Let's not second guess an operation that is current and on-going. Plus, not knowing who might be reading this, we should be careful about throwing out ideas that may be useful to the bad guys.
I agree with all you say I just offerd up the snipers as a more realistic scenario until I watched on the news about the lifeboat:oops:

I don't think Obama's unwillingness to use force should be written of 'weakness' (although it will be anyway). As Evan has pointed out, going in with guns blazing, or using force of any kind is more than likely to result in the captain's death. This one will have to be negotiated in all likelihood. I know that many here support the line that the US never negotiates with tese kind of people, but how rigidly that line is adhered to will depend entirely, IMHO, on how much the US wants their guy back alive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back