Something to think about...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had a peaceful, quiet career. I was never in a war zone; in fact, my wife, who was never actually in the Air Force, is the only family member who was; she was in Yugoslavia when the civil war broke out (she got out tired, but okay). We often joke about that.

Yet, I know my entire career was directed to protecting my country. I have no regrets about what I did, only about what I was unable to do (I was forced to retire at 20 years).

CD

TO Charles (CCheese)

I see that you are some older than me and that you were a radioman in the US Navy.

Even though I served in the Air Force and Army Guard, I salute you for your service. I am glad to read that you have no regrets about your service.

I enjoy seeing Navy ships, I enjoy building models of ships, BUT I still can't picture myself serving on one. I guess I am too much of a country boy too used to having room to roam. I think you know what I mean. I am glad that in this world there are people like you that can and will serve aboard ships.

Sir, may I ask what ships, if any us served on?

Bill G.

Hi Bill:

Just saw this today, sorry for taking so long to reply. I entered the US Navy
on 14 August 1951. After boot camp I was assigned to radio school, a stint
at NAS NorVa with VC-62, teletype repair school, crypto repair school and
landed on the PreCom detail of the USS Saratoga [CVA-60]. Also served IN
[not on] USS Essex [CVS-9], USS Voge [DE-1027], USS Koelsh [DE-1039].
Served in "Nam" with the ROK Army Capital Division [66-67]. And my final
tour of duty was in USS Conyngham [DDG-17].

Was very fortunate to have had exchange duty with the USAF, serving at
Wheelus AFB in Tripoli, and serving with the 2nd Army in NYC as armed forces
police.

While Nam was not my favorite tour of duty, I think I can honestly say I
never actually disliked any station or ship I served on or in. I had a good
career.... and it did have it's ups and downs, but I don't regret a day of it.

Thank you for your kind words....

Charles

To Charles (CCheese)

Thanks for the info.

I have started models on two of the ships you served on. I have the WWII 1/700 Hasegawa CV-9 USS Essex and the 1/570 Revell CV-60 USS Saratoga.

That brings up an interesting question on the USS Saratoga. I have learned that she at first had the vertical black stripe on the stack that the first USS Saratoga had. Was this stripe still painted on when you was on board?

I enlisted in the Air Force in November, 1971. Vietnam was winding down and I never got any closer than Basic Training at Lackland AFB San Antonio, TX. My war time came in the Michigan Army Nation Guard and going to Iraq, 2003, 2004. That was interesting for me. But I think being in a war zone at age 50 is pushing things just a bit. I ain't as quick on my feet as I used to be. But I was still one of the Company's best rifle shots! Even with my "coke bottle" glasses!

Thanks again!

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back