Sopwith Triplane Crash 29th June 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

slightest contact and not only does the undercart collapse the whole plane shudders

The thing is, those aircraft were structurally relatively simple compared to modern stressed skin aircraft and repairs to aircraft that suffered this kind of accident - which happened quite often, could be made relatively quickly so the aircraft could be put into the air as soon as practicable. As well as engine strip maintenance knowldge, pilots learned basic wood working and fabric repair skills and carried repair kits around with them so they could make rudimentary fixes on the gorund away from their home bases. This meant they could make a quick flight to the nearest base where a more thorough repair could be made.

Hard to believe that was once the forefront of aviation, slightest contact and not only does the undercart collapse the whole plane shudders

I would guess that most modern light aircraft would suffer the same fate if they hit a fence-post on landing, with more damage resulting.

I would guess that most modern light aircraft would suffer the same fate if they hit a fence-post on landing, with more damage resulting.
Yes, they would. I was on Fire Crew duty at the departure end of the grass runway at my Club, one day many moons ago, when a Tobago touched down just short of the numbers (at the wrong end), bounced, hit a fence post and the wooden cross rail, and wiped off the nose wheel and one main leg before touching down for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back