Soviet aircraft for the RAF?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alejandro_

Airman 1st Class
Jul 4, 2005
A few years ago I read that the United Kingdom considered acquiring Soviet aircraft before WW2 and Winter War. The decision was driven by the need for modern aircraft. Western countries were increasing production and signing huge contracts in the US. For this reason Soviet aircraft were considered, but Winter War stopped all possible interest.

I am not sure if it was only a suggestion or there was an actual effort to evaluate and import Soviet aircraft. I have not been able to find any more information.

I have never heard even a whisper of this ... :) ... and the USSR was a Hitler-alley after September 1939 .... well before the invasion of Poland or the Finno-Russian1 war .... In 1939, the USSR had nothing that the UK didn't possess themselves ... and wouldn't until 1941 when Il-2 Sturmoviks first entered service -- hands down the most effective Soviet AC.

So I'm skeptical about UK interest ... other than general intelligence.

Perhaps it's the other way around?

The Soviet Union was NOT in a good position with aircraft prior to the start of the war.

The I-16 was a mainstay of the VVS by 1939 and they had just introduced the I-153.
The LaGG-1 was still on the drawing board and it would be several years before they introduced a formidable fighter to challenge the Luftwaffe on equal terms.

On the otherhand, by 1939, the British had the Hurricane and the Spitfire.

I don't have anything to add to your question, but a similar thing happened here in Australia when the Government looked at buying Japanese aircraft in 1940! Imagine RAAF Zero's V's IJNAF Zero's :mrgreen:
file:///C:/Users/Andy/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/3XWZLVX4/Mitsubishi-RAAF (1).pdf
That's a fascinating thought, and the Japanese did supply aircraft to allies, but don't you suppose they would have been actually hesitant to export to a commonwealth nation, especially in light of the growing tensions?

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps it's the other way around?

There was quite a list of buyers for the Spitfire and Hurricane before the war. I have not come accross any data regarding Soviet import but I would not be surprised either. The Soviet Union did import quite a number of German aircraft in the 1930s, and a few Italian ones as well (Breda).

I don't have anything to add to your question, but a similar thing happened here in Australia when the Government looked at buying Japanese aircraft in 1940! Imagine RAAF Zero's V's IJNAF Zero'

Very interesting. The link is not working though, I would love to read more on this. Japan also imported Italian bombers which were used against the Soviets.

Thanks for the replies.

There was quite a list of buyers for the Spitfire and Hurricane before the war. I have not come accross any data regarding Soviet import but I would not be surprised either. The Soviet Union did import quite a number of German aircraft in the 1930s, and a few Italian ones as well (Breda).

Very interesting. The link is not working though, I would love to read more on this. Japan also imported Italian bombers which were used against the Soviets.
I can't seem to link directly to the article. Go to Welcome to ADF Serials then click on the "Articles, research & other pages" where you'll find the PDF in the right side column.

Timing.

Up until Sept 1st 1939 the Soviets might have been interested in buying British aircraft. The British might have been interested in buying Russian aircraft. Depends on what each thought they might get and what advantages it might bring. Russians get better aircraft than I-15s and I-16s for instance. British get I-16s instead of Gladiators?
After Sept 1st both countries may have gotten desperate but sales are now balanced even more against needs at home.
After Nov 30th 1939 and the start of the winter war any sales of aircraft between Britain and Russia become much more difficult, even more difficult than after Sept 17th and the Russian invasion of Poland.
Russia will NOT get free Spitfires and Hurricanes until after June 22nd 1941. The 3 modern Russian fighters don't fly until the winter/spring of 1940 and don't go into production until after the BoB is over which cuts down the need for panic buying of strange aircraft by the British,( besides which the summer/fall of 1940 sees all the ex-french contract aircraft start showing up). Soviets have pretty much pissed off the west and won't get much in the way of help until invaded by Germany and then fall into the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" category.

I found this newspaper extract. It is dated 20 June 1940, two weeks after Dunkerque. I am not surprised every supplier was considered, after important losses in France.

0_af423_f701c3ce_orig.png

Июнь 1940. Великобритания рассматривает возможность покупки оружия у СССР.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back