SPAMMERS NIGHT OUT

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
All signed in in May

1540089444568.png

The entries of a spambot. All of them were reported to the SFS site and banned on the same day. I've kicked them into the cyberspace without delay. Later it tried to log in to each account twice but was rejected. So no problem IMHO.

I'm just curious if it showed up in X's alerts that I was following him....her....it, or if Wojtek's booting prevented anything from happening. It's trying to wreak havoc on the site and sees a "Following Request" alert go up

Bots are goodish...spammer not. They leave all sorts of advertising for not so great stuff and the English they use is brutal. The Bots lead me to places all over the site that I've never been to and get to see stuff that happened before I joined

Before the forum's server became sophisticated, the spammers (bots, mostly) would flood threads with gibberish, infected links and all sorts of nonsense.

It was actually fun to see the Mods kill off the human spammers, they'd alter the spammer's message with less than complimentary (to them) insinuations of their parentage, personal habits, sexual partner preferences and more - those days are long behind us, of course, but it was great entertainment.

Before the forum's server became sophisticated, the spammers (bots, mostly) would flood threads with gibberish, infected links and all sorts of nonsense.

It was actually fun to see the Mods kill off the human spammers, they'd alter the spammer's message with less than complimentary (to them) insinuations of their parentage, personal habits, sexual partner preferences and more - those days are long behind us, of course, but it was great entertainment.
We still do that, only not in public. And we are not trying to communicate with them anymore as there is no point in that. I think the guys back then weren't aware that these are only little pieces of software and not real people.

Some of the spammers back then were human, Marcel.
They'd earn a percentage of revenue from traffic so they were fairly aggressive in their tactics.

As scripting/coding became more sophisticated, the human element was edged out.

Still, it was alot of fun to see the Mods shame them! :D

I just followed that link you provided and that's a real shame, Geo :(

Sadly, quite a few forums aren't being moderated as well as they should. But WW2AC has always been on the ball and kept the nonsense out of the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back