Spanish Republican AF I-16s flight to France question?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
I've been reading "Some Still Live" by mercenary pilot Frank Tinker. He was in a squadron (1st Escuadrilla de Chatos) commanded by Andrés García La Calle. From what I understand García La Calle eventually became the commander of Republican fighter operations. When the war ended, García La Calle flew a batch of I-16s (and possibly other fighters) to France (to avoid them falling into Nationalist hands) where he and his fellow pilots were arrested (that's another story). Does anyone have any additional information on this, pictures of the the impounded aircraft, their ultimate demise?

Hello,

Apparently not arrested in France...
" Mayor La Calle flew to France (Toulouse-Francazal). He stayed in a refugee camp in the area of Argeles-sur-mer in Perpignan, France.
After questioning by Armée de l'Air officers, he sailed for the Dominican Republic.
" from BFA
Thanks for the assist - I've seen that site and they glossed over the true facts. He was arrested and placed at the Argelès-sur-Mer concentration camp where the conditions were deplorable. He escaped with several other people and made it to Mexico and then on to the Dominican Republic where he lived out the rest of his life.

From Wiki:

On February the 6th, 1939, Lacalle left from the Vilajuiga airfield for the Francazal aerodrome near Toulouse in his last I-16 fighter, leading a great part of the planes of the Spanish Republican Air Force to France so that they would not fall in the hands of the enemy. However, immediately upon landing Lacalle was arrested by the French authorities and was interned in the Argelès-sur-Mer concentration camp located near Perpignan, until he was able to escape to Mexico. He died in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, in 1975.

I know I read somewhere he and some others commandeered a car and was able to make their escape. If he was questioned by Armée de l'Air officers it seems he still had to escape the camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back