Spitfire Combat Radius (range) evolution, limitations?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think you should read and understand what I am saying, more fuel allows more flexibility, flying feints and bogus raids is part of warfare, flexibility gives you options to deal with it instead of guessing your enemy's intensions.
In the Battle of Britain 1940 Park used his fighters to put up a screen to cover possibilities as an attack developed. The RAF would always have more fuel in their fighters than the LW because the LW had to form up and cross the channel, the LW also had to go back whereas an RAF plane could force land in a field if out of fuel. There were many cases where the RAF were taken by surprise and had to scramble to altitude, in that case you cannot take the additional fuel out and all it does is increase your take off run and decrease your rate of climb.

What were the numbers' odds during the 'leaning into France', RAF Spitfires vs. LW Fighters?
If you are asking how many on each side of the Channel the actual numbers changed a lot especially after Barbarossa, but they didnt really matter. The area of France across the Channel from England didnt have a huge number of targets that would damage Germany if destroyed. After a few initial successes bouncing German interceptors the L/W got wise to what the RAF were doing, and only engaged on their terms. Most of the time if they bombed something the Germans told the French to repair it. If you wreck a port it is a French port that discounts it from any invasion plan like Dieppe etc.

A lot of times operational radius was less than even the hasty numbers I gave which worked out to over 250 miles of radius.
I didn't figure in dogleg courses or flak detours or try to estimate prevailing winds out of the west. Or try to figure in forming up at the end of combat. It also assumes that the planes will be exactly on course and the proper distance from home at the end of 15 minutes of combat flying. :rolleyes:o_O:D:D

A lot of times operational radius was less than even the hasty numbers I gave which worked out to over 250 miles of radius.
I didn't figure in dogleg courses or flak detours or try to estimate prevailing winds out of the west. Or try to figure in forming up at the end of combat. It also assumes that the planes will be exactly on course and the proper distance from home at the end of 15 minutes of combat flying. :rolleyes:o_O:D:D
There are many ways to calculate things. I was surprised to read that the Mustang Mk I used on tactical recon didnt have a radius as as such, they did their missions in a different way and generally it boiled down to 90 miles in from the enemy coast. The actual plane could of course go much further but not the way those missions were conducted.

Per Spitfire: the History, Spitfire with
2 blade wooden propeller - 9.4 minutes from S.L to 20k'; 363 mph @ 12.5k', 31.9k' ceiling
3 blade metal,2 pitch propeller - 11.4 minutes from S.L to 20k'; 367 mph @ 12.5k', 34.4k' ceiling
3 blade metal, CS propeller - 10.7 minutes from S.L to 20k'; 364 mph @ 12.5k', 34.5k' ceiling
Wait, those numbers don't look right. There's a site called WWII Aircraft Performance which indicates for the Supermarine Spitfires full-throttle heights were a bit higher...

I did not know that the elevator was upgraded that late.

But it was not actually a required modification to make the IX, as had been claimed. It was more of a general improvement.

The fin is the same in the I, II, V, IX, VIII and XIV. It was the rudder that was changed. Obviously for directional stability.

Late model Spitfires (20-series) got the fin and rudder from the Spiteful, which was larger and had a different shape.

Of this I was aware.

Was pointing out that the difference between the IX and the XVI was that the former had a Rolls-Royce engine and the latter had a Packard engine. Some XVIs had the cut down rear fuselage, just as some XIVs had the cut down rear fuselage.

Here is a XVI without the bubble canopy

Actually the XIV had a bigger fin and rudder than the VIII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back