Spitfire IX MA568 ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

Another problem for me :(
Another of my futur projects is the Spitfire Mk.IX MA568 "FN°L" flown by Norvegian Ace Svein Heglund of RAF 331 Sqn during August, September and October 1943.
But I don't know to define this spitfire with Merlin 63 engine...
- Early or late style intake lower cowl ?
- little or large style bay cannon covers for C wings ?
- Early or late style control surfaces ?
- 4 or 5 spoke wheels ?
- Or covered hub wheels ?

My opinion:
- Early style intake lower cowl
- Large style bay connon covers
- Early style control surfaces
- Wheels ???

Anybody to help me please ? Opinions ?
TIA
Steph

Here you are shots of Spitfires of the 331st RAF Squadron. But these seem to be of MK.Vb type rather than Mk.IX.

1-Spitfire-MkIX-RAF-331Sqn-FN-F-AR293-North-Weald-01.jpg

331_spitfire_va_122.jpg

And a profile of teh FNoL Spitfire...

MA568heglund.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks both for your answer :)
Here is what I needed: to the left bottom of the page there is MA568 FN°L
Norwegian Spitfire Squadrons

My opinion:
- Early style intake lower cowl
- little style bay connon covers
- Early style control surfaces
- Wheels ??? (probably 5 spokes)

Although early Mk.IXs had a short(ish) carburettor intake, it was different from the standard Mk.V version, being wider, and with a bigger mouth. The longer tropical/temperate intake was introduced 29-12-43, but wasn't made retrospective.
The so-called "single blister" cannon-bay door was not introduced until 7-1-44, but was made retrospective.
Extended-horn elevators were introduced 13-9-43, serial nos having no bearing on which a/c had them, and which didn't. The change was also issued as a leaflet-style modification, so Squadrons could do it, themselves (having been made aware of its impending arrival, 29-3-43), and retro-fit extant airframes.
The pointed, broader-chord "Mk.XII" rudder was introduced 7-2-44, and was mandatory for a/c with the rear fuselage fuel tank (probably low-back XVIs only.)
Wheels remained 5-spoke until July/August 1944, and the 4-spoke, being stronger, were intended for aircraft carrying bombs under the wings. The so-called plain hubs were simply removeable covers, designed to combat mud, snow, or sand, which could be fitted, or removed, at will.

Although early Mk.IXs had a short(ish) carburettor intake, it was different from the standard Mk.V version, being wider, and with a bigger mouth. The longer tropical/temperate intake was introduced 29-12-43, but wasn't made retrospective.
The so-called "single blister" cannon-bay door was not introduced until 7-1-44, but was made retrospective.
Extended-horn elevators were introduced 13-9-43, serial nos having no bearing on which a/c had them, and which didn't. The change was also issued as a leaflet-style modification, so Squadrons could do it, themselves (having been made aware of its impending arrival, 29-3-43), and retro-fit extant airframes.
The pointed, broader-chord "Mk.XII" rudder was introduced 7-2-44, and was mandatory for a/c with the rear fuselage fuel tank (probably low-back XVIs only.)
Wheels remained 5-spoke until July/August 1944, and the 4-spoke, being stronger, were intended for aircraft carrying bombs under the wings. The so-called plain hubs were simply removeable covers, designed to combat mud, snow, or sand, which could be fitted, or removed, at will.

Thanks Edgar for precisions. So, can I make my model with "single blister" cannon-bay door during Summer-Autumn 1943 (like the picture here Norwegian Spitfire Squadrons left bottom ? There is no date regarding this picture but MA568 left 331st Sqn 23-2-1944...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back