Spitfire MK I

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I did some more head scratching and finally dug up my old Arco-Aircam Aviation Series #13 "Battle Of Britain" (Copyright 1969). Sure enough, near the bottom of color plate "G" was "DW-O" and on page 19 it gave the following info: Mk1a, No 610 "County of Chester" squadron, Serial unknown, Biggin Hill, Upper surface scheme "B", Under surface Sky Blue, Code: Sky Grey Under surface roundel _nil_ One interesting side note,
the majority of aircraft shown also tell the month and year depicted but unfortunately "DW-O" doesn't. And it said the serial number was unknown. JOSEPEDRO: as I said before nice job!!!!!!!

Actually, in between times, some RAF Spits carried A-type roundels on the wing undersides, but further out towards the tips, beyond the pitot housing; the underside colour wasn't standardized as Sky type S yet either, but a variety of blues/greens were used. That goes for July/August 1940.

Beautifully done!

It looks very well done the weathering and well-put together. Wish I had your talent. I tried at one stage to put a P-51 Mustang together but it never really worked for me.

Nice weathering. I tried at one stage to put a P-51 Mustang model together but found it difficult. Have to try again at some stage when I have more time...

Srry for the delayed answer!

I used micro-sol, and those are the kit decals on the letters, the roundeels are superscale.

Thanks!

José Pires

Now I must apologize for the delayed response. Micro-sol and Micro-set are some great products. I've used them too. Now if I could just find some time to use them again! It must be the way you photographed your model or the lighting but those letters still look painted on. Ha-Ha , which is the reason Micro-sol was invented right?

Very nice model.Good work.I have the third model from when I started my collection.I have it hidden in a corner so it is not real visible.It has sentimental value but is a real dog.
Ed

Very nice model.Good work.I have the third model from when I started my collection.I have it hidden in a corner so it is not real visible.It has sentimental value but is a real dog.
Ed

Hello!!!!

In my opinion, those are the models that have the most value... the ones that are real dogs, but have so much sentimental value that you just cannot trash them.
I have an 1/72 B-17G from airfix, that even has a warped fuselage. Built 15 years ago, was the second model i´ve built, without putty etc. I think you can imagine.

Still exists!!!!!

Regards!

One tiny correction. Crowbars on door are not found on early marks of Spitfires. They appeared with the Mk V.

Some comments on what I have read in the posts.

Before the war the undersides were painted exactly half black, half white. The first radar could only see forwards. Once the enemy had crossed the coast they could only be tracked by observers on the ground. By painting the undersides black and white it was hoped that the observers would be able to distinguish friendly and enemy formations and report their position. On 6th June 1940 this was replaced by Sky on service aircraft and 11th June production aircraft followed. Shortage of paint resulted in various shades being mixed. These are often referred to as Duck Egg Green or Duck Egg Blue. Roundels under the wings were reintroduced officially from 11th August 1940. From the 27th November 1940 (after the Battle of Britain) the port wing only was to be painted black. The instructions were often interpreted in differing ways and there are several variations in how this was applied especially on Hurricanes. Roundels were retained under the wings, the one on the port wing outlined with yellow. On 22nd April 1941 the under surfaces reverted to entirely Sky again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back