Spitfire V ME109. I have found these links on the net.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats a US gallon though not a proper imperial gallon :)

At least the Canadians have the sense to use our gallons.
I have never heard of the US dry gallon...
Cheers
John

The imperial (UK) gallon was legally defined as 4.54609 L. This definition is used in Commonwealth countries and Ireland, and is based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 °F. (A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.33 pounds at the same temperature.) The imperial fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon. On 1 January 2000, it ceased to be a legal unit of measure within the United Kingdom for economic, health, safety or administrative purposes.[3]
The US liquid gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches,[4] and is equal to exactly 3.785411784 litres or about 0.133680555 cubic feet. This is the most common definition of a gallon in the United States. The US fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄128 of a US gallon.
The US dry gallon is one-eighth of a US Winchester bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches, thus it is equal to exactly 268.8025 cubic inches or 4.40488377086 L. The US dry gallon is less commonly used, and is not listed in the relevant statute, which jumps from the dry quart to the peck.

Thats a US gallon though not a proper imperial gallon :)

At least the Canadians have the sense to use our gallons.
I have never heard of the US dry gallon...
Cheers
John

That's us Yanks, we can do the impossible of making a measurement of liquid "dry" and are frequently contrary to all things "proper":lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can you still buy a pint of maggots? :eeeeek:

Eight of them would be a dry(ish) gallon.

I'll follow Airframes out.....
Steve

I'm intrigued....how do you measure a US dry gallon?
What that a prohibition era thing?
Cheers
John

Ah, is that the measurement used for powdered water? I'll get me coat ........

Can you still buy a pint of maggots? :eeeeek:

Eight of them would be a dry(ish) gallon.

I'll follow Airframes out.....
Steve

Well guys when I was a kid my friend, Peter, always picked pickled peppers by the peck. I'm a guessing that if Peter picked a gallon of pickled peppers it was not enough to make salsa with so that is why Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. This must be a Yankee thing.:)

then ther is always that other american stalwart...the ten gallon hat.

Never leave a proper job to a recalcitrant rebel republic, thats what i say

That is true, if you want it done "proper" leave it to a Limey or pass it off to the pugnacious penal colony paroles. If you want it done right and on time the recalcitrant rebel republic reliably renders requested results required.:)

Last edited:
Imperial measurements please, not some ghastly euro litre.
A chap simply does not where he is buying petrol in litres and measuring miles per gallon.

The US dry gallon is one-eighth of a US Winchester bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches, thus it is equal to exactly 268.8025 cubic inches or 4.40488377086 L. The US dry gallon is less commonly used, and is not listed in the relevant statute, which jumps from the dry quart to the peck.

I have read this very carefully several times and I still don't get it...
See what happens when the British Empire lets the young Americans have a go on their own. Total confusion !! :lol:
Cheers
John

One of the few places I was never stationed was anywhere in England, good thing too, because it would have took a while to figure out their money system. Pounds, shillings, pences, and then the slang, bobs, guineas, and whatever else they could add to confuse it.

I remember when I first got interested in aviation in the early 60's, i'd buy the Royal Air Force Flying Review magazines, 1s. 9d. or .35, a great magazine, I still have some of them today.

You'd probably have been given the correct change anyway. Actually,contrary to the rantings of the tabloid press,you'd probably still get the correct change today. There's a lot of honest people out there for every crooked one.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back