Spitfire VIII 145 Sqn

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
I thought the letter code of 145 Sqn aircrafts were blue with white outlining but in the book "Aces N°3"
3-1.jpg

It explains that the Spitfires VIII belonging to 145 Sqn wore red code letters. We can see on the web another Spit VIII: ZX J (JG241), ZX M (MT928), ZX W (JF503) sometimes with red and sometimes with blue code letters. Some sources say Italy-based Squadron painting its codes in Flight colours, red for "A" Flight, and blue for "B"...???
If we look at the photo, it seems that the letter code is closer than the color of the center of the insignia (red)
JF472enhanced.jpg

Any advice about that my friends ? ;)

Here is a shot of the Polish Spitfire with blue code letters while servicing in no. 145 Squadron. It's a colour image and and I turned it into a B&W pic for comparing. The effect is quite similar to the one seen in the pic above. While the ZX letter seems to be a llittle bit brighter , the individual one looks like being of darker colour. All code letters seem to be of quite the same tone the central , red part of the RAF roundel. But these were of the blue though. Therefore I would say there should be the blue one. But it's just my opinion.

Spitfire_ZX1_c.jpg

Spitfire_ZX1_c1.jpg

Last edited:
How does one tell the difference between "A" Flight and "B" Flight? I noticed that the aircraft carried letters and numbers aft of the port roundel. 1:48 decals by Techmod (sorry, this is the biggest pic I could find)...

48024-02.jpg

EDIT: found a colour plate with aircraft s/n EN 300 - ZX•9. It said this aircraft belonged to "C" flight, markings still blue with white surround

Last edited:
How does one tell the difference between "A" Flight and "B" Flight? I noticed that the aircraft carried letters and numbers aft of the port roundel. 1:48 decals by Techmod (sorry, this is the biggest pic I could find)...

48024-02.jpg

EDIT: found a colour plate with aircraft s/n EN 300 - ZX•9. It said this aircraft belonged to "C" flight, markings still blue with white surround

Hi Geo,
The red letter codes would only concern Spits VIII, not Spit V or IX. I found the info about Flights here (post #6):
Neville Duke Spitfire VIII JG241 (ZX-J) - extended wing tips you think - LSP Discussion - LSP Forums
I think Wojtek gave a good reply :thumbleft: other color test here about 145 sqn letter codes here In Colour
If I can, I'm going to try to know were the team of the book Aces N°3 found the information about red letter codes on Spit VIII of 145 Sqn

Here is a shot of the Spit coded ZX-W. Although the port side of the fuselage is in the shadow ( judging by the sunlight direction ) the same effect of the tone for the code letters can be noticed. The ZX seems to be lighter than the individual sign. But all of them seems to be quite close to colour of the red disc of the roudel.

ZX-W.jpg

However I'm not still convinced about the red colour. Here is an image of a Spitfire with the code taken during a sunny day. It seems that all of code letters are of the same tinge.The sunlight and using filters while taking pictures may change the hue in B&W images.But the red one seems to be more resistant to the changings than the blue one. The blue can vary from very dark to light grey while the red paint stays of almost the same tone.

Dickson_stands_next_to_his_Spitfire.jpg

Last edited:
And here is a colour shot of Spitfire taken in our times. I have turned it in the B&W picture. As you may notice the tone of the red colour is the same for all letters, the roundel and the fin flash although the red used for letters is a little bit brighter than the one for the national insignia..

The pic source: the net...

spitfire.jpg

spitfire-1.jpg

The codes had been shown for many years as red, until the colour pic emerged a few years ago. There's been some discussion on this here and there, and I think here on the forum too. The 'red' was possibly deduced from study of tonal ranges of B&W prints, and the fact that other units often used white-outlined, red codes.
However, that colour pic disproves the red, and the Airfix 1/72nd scale Spit Mk.IX released in 2011 includes the blue code letter decals.
I can't be certain, but I think the 'lettering' on the rudder trim tab of 'ZX - 1' is a repeat of the serial number, as I recall seeing that stated somewhere just a couple or three years ago.
The codes on 'WFD' (Gp. Cpt. Dickinson, from memory), have always been shown as red, a common colour on Italy and Mid East based fighters. I've seen a colour image also showing red, and although I'm not certain, the B&W pic might be from a colour original, judging by the tonal reproduction.

I agree with Terry on the "WFD" colours. Although the shot was taken with filters ( the clouds in the sky can be seen ) the tone of the code letters looks the same like the one in the pic with the "ZX-M" kite. For the entire rest of planes the hue varies for the single code letters from dark grey to mid grey. This may indicate the blue tint that seems to be more responsive to the lighting conditions and filters..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back