Steering wheel of a ???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F-16

Airman
Aug 3, 2013
Hello,

Does anyone know of which WW2 plane this steering wheel is?

WP_20130731_006.jpg

WP_20130731_009.jpg

It looks to older that WWII to me but I am not that knowledgeable.

Okay, is this because of the wood? I could not find any pics through Google of WW2 cockpits with wood? But should it be of a plane... I am now confused.

Maybe a DC3 or the like?
Should it be a WW2 aircraft?

Thx for the tip, I am not sure, but my dad found it in the 2nd WW in The Netherlands where a plane has crashed in the field, he doesn't remember a lot so not very helpfull. I was also Googling for Fokker cockpits, but no match. I really hope it is of a plane though. So small fighter planes used sticks and bombers/transport planes these kind of wheels.

Dc3's had 'wheels' like that.
N34---Douglas-DC3-Cockpit.jpg

Only not sure if they had wooden ones. But it seems likely an aircraft steering wheel from that era.

Fokkers had round wheels I believe, although I don't know about the later ones like F.36 or so. Here's the cockpit of an F.VII.

102700415.NFq1jEXc.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a DC3 or the like?
Should it be a WW2 aircraft?

Thx for the tip, I am not sure, but my dad found it in the 2nd WW in The Netherlands where a plane has crashed in the field, he doesn't remember a lot so not very helpfull. I was also Googling for Fokker cockpits, but no match. I really hope it is of a plane though. So small fighter planes used sticks and bombers/transport planes these kind of wheels?

Last edited:
Dc3's had 'wheels' like that.
N34---Douglas-DC3-Cockpit.jpg

Only not sure if they had wooden ones. But it seems likely an aircraft steering wheel from that era.

Fokkers had round wheels I believe, although I don't know about the later ones like F.36 or so. Here's the cockpit of an F.VII.

102700415.NFq1jEXc.jpg

Bedankt Marcel!

My dad ensured me it was WW2 as it was found after the plane crashed down in the fields (near a farm) in South Holland in the 2nd WW. I saw one of your Fokker posts this afternoon and then Googled a bit on the Fokkers, I then thought maybe a Fokker as I first checked most British and German bigger planes from the era with no real match. Your Fokker F.36 is the best match so far so thanks!

So small fighter planes used sticks and bombers/transport planes these kind of wheels?

That depends, in the early days, a lot of aircraft, also the smaller ones used wheels. But even later, during ww2 there were smaller aircraft with wheels as well, like the P38 lightning. But generally speaking, yes.

The Fokker F20 has something looking like this.
Fokker%20F20%20cockpit.jpg

Doubt it was this aircraft, because there was only one build. But seems like the later Fokkers had these wheels.

Last edited:
@ the back side are also some serial nrs. but no signs like the name of the factory. In the centre point of the wheel it has 4 holes and 1 bigger in the middle so thought maybe it originally had a sign and then someone removed it? But now think most WW2 planes did not have signs on the wheels?

That depends, in the early days, a lot of aircraft, also the smaller ones used wheels. But iven later, during ww2 there were smaller aircraft with wheels as well, like the P38 lightning. But generally speaking, yes.

The Fokker F20 has something looking like this.
Fokker%20F20%20cockpit.jpg

Doubt it was this aircraft, because there was only one build. But seems like the later Fokkers had these wheels.

So awesome! Thx! Really interesting to learn more about WW2 planes. If there was only one F20, it cannot be this one as the wheel is so different. I have seen some of the Fokkers in the Soesterberg museum, never knew they made so many types. O: The brown/green camo is btw also very interesting.

Would be funny if someone knew more about this wheel and would be more fun if it was not Dutch after all. :p

It think it would be great when it was Dutch. As liberators and B17 are litered all over the country, a fokker would be unique.
But I still highly doubt it's a Fokker if it really crashed during WW2. Not many Fokkers around in those years, except for the early few days. Fokker F.20 was an attempt for an airliner in the '30ies, the F.36 as well, that one crashed in the UK I believe.
For a ww2 fokker, the candidates are G-1, T.V or F.VII I think. These I'm sure had wheel steerings. I'll see tomorrow if I can find any cockpits of those. If you have a serial number, I might know people who could look up if it is a Fokker.

The location might help as well and timeframe (early or later in WW2).

It think it would be great when it was Dutch. As liberators and B17 are litered all over the country, a fokker would be unique.
But I still highly doubt it's a Fokker if it really crashed during WW2. Not many Fokkers around in those years, except for the early few days. Fokker F.20 was an attempt for an airliner in the '30ies, the F.36 as well, that one crashed in the UK I believe.
For a ww2 fokker, the candidates are G-1, T.V or F.VII I think. These I'm sure had wheel steerings. I'll see tomorrow if I can find any cockpits of those. If you have a serial number, I might know people who could look up if it is a Fokker.

The location might help as well and timeframe (early or later in WW2).

Okay, I am not @ home right now, but will see if I can read it from the pics I taken + ask my dad again, he needs to do some brain-training anyway. really appreciated your help mate. Super tof van u!

Edit: place sould be (or near by): Waddinxveen (South Holland), but will check/ask again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back