It didn't.
Progress was a bit slow at times. Israelis did rather well with it.
Soviet tanks often traded simplicity for "ease of repair", I am stating this badly.
They were crude and often not actually hard to repair, problem was they needed repair often and needed a fair amount of spare parts.
Track live was short. They used the same steering system the T-34 did (and that was crude in WW II). One Soviet tanker of the cold war claimed that over 30% of the Soviet tanks would be broken down with bad steering clutches trying to drive across Europe without even meeting enemy forces.
US tanks used much more complicated transmissions and steering gears but were easier to drive, they may have had faults but they usually did not fail in catastrophic fashion. But just like automatic transmissions in cars, they are harder fix when they do go wrong.
Interesting analysis. Maybe we should start another thread on tanks.
I know the Soviet / Russian tanks had design problems - and not just with depressing their gun barrels - elevating them too turned out to be a nightmarish problem in Chechnya. But of course they did prevail there ultimately.
I agree with you that high / low silhouette is often oversimplified. Higher silhouette can be an advantage for spotting enemy targets. I think it's more often the case to be spotted (especially by someone in cover) than to spot the enemy from inside a tank. There is also the issue of comfort and driving conditions. But with improved optics, gyrostablizers and laser rangefinders, and now days drones, tanks become a lot less "blind" and maybe this tips the balance.
It's pretty well established that (so long as they didn't get stuck) M4 tanks could drive a lot further than T-34s before breaking down, on average.
But that said, I was around during REFORGER and some other big exercises and I can tell you that NATO tanks, in particular the M-60, also broke down
a lot. So did Leopard I by the way. I don't think any tanks would be driving across Europe without a lot more than 30% stopping for some reason or another. The normal NATO practice was to ship them close to the battle (or in our case, exercise) area by rail, then bring them off the trains and into action. Then when they are done, back on the trains (and either back to the repair depot or back to some other staging area).
The M-1 broke down a lot too, though they were much more impressive... scary, really. And they could run on any kind of fuel (though whatever fuel it was, bring a LOT)
I don't think the Israeli's had that high of an opinion of the M-60 nor did it do as well as some of their others, IIRC they liked the Centurian best I think until they started making Merkava. The M-60 did quite poorly for the Pakistanis. I don't remember all the details but I remember talking to some tankers back in the day (because I love tanks) and they told me about a litany of problems, some of them very frustrating and clearly design issues. Of course that is typical military to focus on all the problems.
I know one issue with all the American armored vehicles including the M-1 is that they seemed to have comparatively poor off-road performance compared to a lot of the others. By which I mean, not that they couldn't go fast, but they would throw tracks and get stuck. Even if your engine and transmission are still working, if you get stuck in the mud or your track comes off you are not going anywhere. They also use an incredible amount of fuel.