Storage in ww2 fighters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Going a little OT here....
You are correct, and the blame rests with me, not with the member who graciously replied to my query. I apologize, it began with my deep interest in firearms, and the listing of the Luftwaffe M30 survival Drilling on a RIA publication. I wondered how anything so bulky as that cased weapon with ammo, etc. could fit in the cockpit of a ME bf-109 or a FW 190. I was also curious as to how a pilot getting set to bail out could manage to hang onto the handle of the gun case (aluminum believe) and escape the cockpit -- If you feel it would be better for the true nature of this thread, I would be most happy to go back and edit out my responses, even that of Rudolph Hess, and perhaps, start that as a new and separate thread. Thank you for your most accurate comment- no offense taken. Hansie

Last edited:
I shall try to get a copy of your book(s) as I believe Rudolph Hess and his "escape from the Third Reich" was the first of many challenges faced by Hitler and Goebbels, to cover up to the German people all the "Rats leaving the sinking ship"--later followed by disasters in Russia, Italy and Normandy. I wonder if Hitler tried to "abduct" Hess and bring him back to Berlin- most likely to his death?
He just discredited him, by the time all the birds came home to roost I doubt if the average German remembered much about a guy who left in 1941 when Germany was winning in most respects. The whole Hess story is a war time enigma.

No problems Hansie. Some threads lose topic after the first page. This one went from carrying a pilots personal belongings in a fighter aircraft to depositing body fluids in 2 pages
Thanks for that, FB57. I'm a "rookie" here, and want to follow the rules. I can say that I have gained in my knowledge of WW2 aircraft from the many informative threads on this site. Hansie

No need to delete posts. I'm not a moderator but sometimes act like one, and I know that I probably shouldn't. But then I do lots of things that I shouldn't do....
Thank you CR. I have had some great fishing in Canada, my favorite being the Bow River in Calgary. You don't see any litter up there, and the fishing is fantastic, let alone the scenery.

No.71 - Baggage Compartment.
Heinkel He-51...

baggage.jpg

Yes, and those BOAC Mossie passengers did not even have a chair. Just an oxygen mask and a small light. And I understand the flight attendents were unattentive and the movie selection horrid.
Nils Bohr was flown from Sweden to Britain in a "passenger" Mosquito. The oxygen mask didn't fit and the world came close to having him brain damaged by hypoxia.

Nils Bohr's WWII experience was quite a story in itself. His country, Denmark, signed a non-aggression pact with Germany before the war. The initial German occupation was mild. Then the Gestapo moved in and demanded all the Jewish people in Denmark be turned over to them. Nils Bohr refused to leave until the Jews of Denmark were rescued, and about 95% of them were, taken to Sweden. The Germans would not mess with Sweden because they were heavily dependent on Swedish supplies of iron ore, most of which were transported through Norway.

There is an interesting book about the WWII Resistance in Denmark, "The Sixth Floor."

Last edited:
Nils Bohr was flown from Sweden to Britain in a "passenger" Mosquito. The oxygen mask didn't fit and the world came close to having him brain damaged by hypoxia.
The must have had a system as described by Bill, when Bohr did not respond the pilot descended to a safe altitude, Bohr remarked that he slept like a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back